Author Topic: Playerbase input  (Read 13056 times)

Austin

• Community Manager
  • Rebel Captain

• Has a nice view of your bedroom

• View Profile
Playerbase input
« on: March 13, 2014, 12:32:37 am »
Hay guys, i'm just making a post here for personal notes. I would like to know why you guys think the playerbase is small right now and give some feedback! We've been around so long and obviously we aren't going anywhere but people still seem to be drawn away. We want more players guys, and it's very sad to see so much work not be appreciated as much as it should be (you guys are all great by the way ). I'm doing this as a personal note so maybe we can improve on these things in order to get a bigger playerbase :)

Stuart

• Developer
  • Rebel General

• #1 Coolest Person HURR

• Personal Text
    Thanks Omar. Its your fault.
    • View Profile
Re: Playerbase input
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 12:55:23 am »
Its a 2006 Remake. The simple fact is that whether or not how much we as people like this era, its not as popular as the mainstream rsps genre. We can advertise all we want, but I doubt we will ever get more than 50 people online at a time which sucks. :(

Cheshire Cat

• Veteran
  • Rebel Captain

• Personal Text
    Away for personal reasons.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 01:02:13 am »
Three major things. I won't be sugar coating this.

1. Increase your social media impact. Twitter is nice but there are so many other sites you could be using, and if you are using other sites like Facebook, Tumblr, Reddit you need to push them more because I have never seen them. I should know from the second I visit the home page that you have social media plugs. This was actually a major problem when the game and site were down because people just couldn't get information. Tell people to check the twitter for status updates and they'd be dumbfounded to the idea that the site had any social media plugs.

2. Vote page site spinner. SoulSplit has this one pat down and we're really getting punched down by not having one. Unless they're massively dedicated members won't click a dozens links in a thread they have to find on the forums whenever they want to vote (if they want to vote). Users should be able to type ::vote when they login to the game and have a browser window popup with the previously mentioned site spinner, simple and easy. Also a login message reminding members to support you by voting, possible with a timer to tell you when you can vote again (i.e. every 12 hours) couldn't hurt.

While no in game ranks or items should be given for voting you should still give people something, perhaps a forums rank for voting a certain number of times (10, 20, ect) along with a counter on the users profile for how many times they've voted. If there's anything any of us have learned from years of playing RS it's that people will slave themselves to death to earn pointless pixels on a screen.

3. The highscores. People like to brag, it mainly is the motivator to play these games in a "no life" fashion if we're all going to be honest here. Since we most likely will not see the addition of skillcapes to the game we need a place that members can show off other than the forums. There's not much more to be said on that topic.

Without the three of these the game will be permanently growth stunted. The fact that another server's word can be taken higher than ours is a sign that things need a PR rework.

N0vapur3

• Rebel Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 01:19:26 am »
Like Jagex does, they talk about bug fixes inbetween content updates. I think our biggest problem is advertising though. I don't really vote unless there's an incentive to do so. Our best bet is to probably continously bump in some way our advertising threads. I noticed you bumped the thread on rune-server not too long ago but no one else has. I think Ryan should redo the first post and put our strongest features first so we grab peoples attention early. Regular players that don't know much about coding do not care much about woodcutting or prayers working, stuff like that. They care about the more exciting stuff. Agility and slayer would probably be the only skills that people would be excited to see.

Our biggest features right now are probably the almost perfect tutorial island, lag free, uptime (very important), server made from scratch, thoroughly checked for dupes by Silab, soon to be ______ :D, and many bugs fixed.

The voting page on here is just too overwhelming in my opinion. There's like 20 links....We should just pick the most important ones such as RuneLocus as well.

Ya overall, bump the advertising pages, less voting pages. Content.

realitycheck

• Rebel Commander

• Personal Text
    Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - P.Steele
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 08:33:15 am »
I think a lot of players come to PS's for a quick fix.  Those with spawns, ridiculously high xp rates, and customs seem to always be populated because (in my opinion), most RSPS players are there for the "quick fix".  A lot of these players are the ones that complained the real RS was too hard, or that they couldn't level fast enough.  While I don't mind the x2 rate, I am sure it is an instant turn off for a lot of players.

Knowing that RuneRebels is going to recreate 2006 by the book might also be a deterrent.  The odds of ever having certain content is almost nil considering there are only a few coders (albeit great ones) on this server.  With real lives having to be lead, that really doesn't leave a ton of time for massive forward progress.

Lastly... must get highscores back.  It's already been said once, but competition always makes things a bit more compelling.

James

• Developer
  • Rebel Captain

• Sean is my son

• Personal Text
    The RR Grandpa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 11:08:16 am »
Highscores are on the way, ;)
Hi, I'm James. I'm old as hell.

I need to Java again, lol

Slayer

• Veteran
  • Rebel Captain

• HEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEY

• Personal Text
    Namechange Sento -> Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 11:15:26 am »
We should make it attractive for other people to join us and not other remakes, canifis would be a great update, and atleast some dragon weapons :/

Brothership

• Quest Developer
  • Rebel Captain

• Onurs bitch.

• Personal Text
    Hey, you're pretty fly for a white guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 11:19:34 am »
We should make it attractive for other people to join us and not other remakes, canifis would be a great update, and atleast some dragon weapons :/
aye, and i believe that the only thing stopping us from morytania is a certain quest called priest in peril, am i right?
The original G. Literally.

buttplug

• Community Member
  • Rebel Captain

• Personal Text
    Omar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 02:03:21 pm »
Maybe if we use a reverse tactic such as advertising the low player number. Explain the fact we have plenty of finished content going to waste due to lack of players.

Insinuate a "get it while its hot" sort of idea that the sooner you make an account and start playing, the more training you can get ahead on. Therefore by the time the server becomes crowded and newer users are rushing to claim their favorite training spots, those who joined sooner won't have to deal with the squabbling.

Its basically the whole "WE'RE OVERSTOCKED AND PASSING THE SAVINGS ONTO YOU" thing, creating a market out of yourself. If people think they have to race here before someone else, its more likely they do it in groups rather than one by one.

Also the so called "savings" are pretty much guaranteed. By that I mean if it makes players flock here to get first dibs, then the whole thing works. If only a few players show up and none after, the ones who joined earlier will have already gotten to know the benefits of the server and stay.

And even if it doesn't work at all, then nothing changes and we're back to where we are right now. No risk, high reward

Come at me bro
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 02:05:51 pm by buttplug »

nijntje

• Veteran
  • Rebel Leader

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 03:05:33 pm »
A new player told me he dont like it that every1 is so far ahead, i never saw him again...
When i started playing i had the same, i think you can do nothing about that.
Just saying, maybe this hold players to play this.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 03:07:41 pm by nijntje »

Prayer

• Player Moderator
  • Rebel General

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 03:10:06 pm »
A new player told me he dont like it that every1 is so far ahead, i never saw him again...
When i started playing i had the same, i think you can do nothing about that.
Just saying, maybe this hold players to play this.

Well yeah, that's true. Some people like competition but what's there to compete for when some people are just starting and the rest are already so far ahead.

Dev

• Rebel Leader

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 03:14:29 pm »
Insinuate a "get it while its hot" sort of idea that the sooner you make an account and start playing, the more training you can get ahead on.
This is a unique idea here, try this along with a stronger social presence. I can't really add on to your guys' ideas because as I was typing my response when the thread was made, 2 people said what I was going to say and more. d:

papas

• Rebel Soldier

• Personal Text
    wepa wepa wepa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 03:27:22 pm »
In my case i felt that this server was abandoned even bug reports were just being ignored (or felt that way)
and that's why i didn't play most of 2013 even though i really enjoyed the beta. Now the updates batch since 2.0 has got me interested once more but again the focus on small details is almost none.

Now the problem on bringing more ppl is that most players know almost everything about rs, and when you hit to those little things that doesn't work it kills that rs feeling you want so bad.

and let's not even talk about the prs06 drama and the release of oldschool rs, both hit this server playerbase real bad. I don't even know if there is an interest to play oldschool rs anymore.

EDIT: Enabling global chat could help little bit when someone new joins, even if they don't see anyone at least they will know other ppl are on the server.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 03:49:43 pm by papas »

Brothership

• Quest Developer
  • Rebel Captain

• Onurs bitch.

• Personal Text
    Hey, you're pretty fly for a white guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 04:37:43 pm »
Insinuate a "get it while its hot" sort of idea that the sooner you make an account and start playing, the more training you can get ahead on.
This is a unique idea here, try this along with a stronger social presence. I can't really add on to your guys' ideas because as I was typing my response when the thread was made, 2 people said what I was going to say and more. d:
i support this! Its a cewl idea and the weirdest suggestions usually work. We cant lose anything on it atleast.
The original G. Literally.

nijntje

• Veteran
  • Rebel Leader

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 04:59:58 pm »
i support this! Its a cewl idea and the weirdest suggestions usually work. We cant lose anything on it atleast.
This feels like the 2.0 pack, my mates and i worked our ass off to get decent stats before the new playerbase would arrive with advertention, updates etc..
2.0 was not what they excepted and all quitted. I dont care about updates come slow but other players really does.
You can try that idea but in my eyes it wont work, just my opinion.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 05:02:16 pm by nijntje »