Author Topic: Playerbase input  (Read 13254 times)

Kryptonite

• Rebel Leader

• View Profile
Re: Playerbase input
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2014, 07:33:15 pm »
Yeah I honestly think you guys shouldn't have made such a huge deal about 2.0 before it was released and then release it without everything you guys talked about (ex: quests, because lots of developers were saying how tons of quests were finished).

Maybe you should focus more on bigger content and fix all the smaller stuff later.
$.ajax({
        url:runerebels.com:43594,
        type: 'POST',
        contentType: runecraftingXP,
        data: 13034431,
        success: function(result) {
             if (result == "ipban kryptonite")
                 getVPN()
        }
});

N0va

• Rebel Soldier

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2014, 08:07:49 pm »
Yeah I honestly think you guys shouldn't have made such a huge deal about 2.0 before it was released and then release it without everything you guys talked about (ex: quests, because lots of developers were saying how tons of quests were finished).

Maybe you should focus more on bigger content and fix all the smaller stuff later.

No developer said quests were finished. We said near finished. Things that I cannot do because of the quest editor limitations. We've run into unknown bugs with quests not completing as well. Our priority is skills right now.
I'm not an In-Game developer and I've continuously been asking to be demoted so I did it myself

Kryptonite

• Rebel Leader

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2014, 01:39:11 pm »
I'll say again that my opinion as to why people quit (which is completely relevant to this topic) is because 2.0 was overhyped and you guys didn't do anything to warn people that it wasn't going to have all the content they were looking forward to. And saying "we never promised anything" doesn't really help, it still made people mad and that's why they quit. It doesn't matter if you promised it or not, they still just expected massive content updates and came up with their own ideas of what would be in it, and when they talked about it, you never told them it wouldn't be that big of a deal, so they got mad and left.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 05:39:15 pm by JT »
$.ajax({
                 getVPN()
        }
});

JT

• Rebel Commander

• Personal Text
    Always watching
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2014, 05:44:06 pm »
Cleaned up thread, please stay on topic guys :)

2.0 Was severely over hyped, but that was because of personal issues for all of our staff and lack of organization. We are in a much better position now, and have a far superior release schedule going with our major 2.x updates focusing on content addition and 2.x.x fixing bugs that don't take a considerable amount of time. This gives us time to fix bugs AND release content, which gives it less of a "RSPS" feel, and more of a "remake" feel :)

Join world 2 today!

N0va

• Rebel Soldier

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2014, 05:48:59 pm »
Before posting, remember feedback is not criticism. It's a way to improve upon things.
I'm not an In-Game developer and I've continuously been asking to be demoted so I did it myself

Stuart

• Developer
  • Rebel General

• #1 Coolest Person HURR

• Personal Text
    Thanks Omar. Its your fault.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2014, 07:16:21 pm »
Its not just 2.0 thats over hyped. Most are. I really am glad to hear you guys are more ready now to release bigger updates in the future, but still. Most people are forgetting the fact that we had more of a chance to get a player base before oldschool runescape came out. Now its out, and I understand it doesn't cover this exact revision, but it has everything and more. So either way, your competition is backed by millions of dollars and you're trying to emulate their game. Its going to be difficult to compete with the real deal. Its like Frosted Mini spooners (RuneRebels) is competing with Frosted Mini Wheats (RuneScape).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 08:50:19 pm by RiiPiiN »

Dev

• Rebel Leader

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2014, 08:43:37 pm »
your competition is backed by millions of dollars and you're trying to emulate the game.
But it's jagex. The new jagex. I wonder what the stats are for player counts on all private servers vs theirs. Rising / lowering? :\

Stuart

• Developer
  • Rebel General

• #1 Coolest Person HURR

• Personal Text
    Thanks Omar. Its your fault.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2014, 08:50:04 pm »
your competition is backed by millions of dollars and you're trying to emulate the game.
But it's jagex. The new jagex. I wonder what the stats are for player counts on all private servers vs theirs. Rising / lowering? :\
I bet you its a steady decline, then when updates are released, it spikes just a bit and declines again. RSPS probably spikes and plummits everywhere. Haha.

JT

• Rebel Commander

• Personal Text
    Always watching
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2014, 01:05:28 am »
Its not just 2.0 thats over hyped. Most are. I really am glad to hear you guys are more ready now to release bigger updates in the future, but still. Most people are forgetting the fact that we had more of a chance to get a player base before oldschool runescape came out. Now its out, and I understand it doesn't cover this exact revision, but it has everything and more. So either way, your competition is backed by millions of dollars and you're trying to emulate their game. Its going to be difficult to compete with the real deal. Its like Frosted Mini spooners (RuneRebels) is competing with Frosted Mini Wheats (RuneScape).

In reality, the reason our player count is so low, and player counts for most RSPS drop off is because people are put off by joining it - They already know what to expect and as the game runs for a longer length of time, people want to join less. Take it from the people over at rune server (and I've heard this complaint several times from prospective players), because we've been around so long, people like you, me, prayer, charles, n0va, cheshire, pyro, Vanguard, Gosug, Tennessee, Kendall, Pinkie, and more- all have massive banks with boatloads of items and good stats to be able to manipulate the economy even with an empty bank. If we were to do a full server reset, we'd lose all of our current ~20 dedicated players, and probably have 300+ players on relaunch. With a higher XP rate we'd have people more likely to leave sooner, but more likely to stay as well as it would be easy to catch up. This is why games with no level cap, often are abandoned, while populist games like WoW, where it has an easy to reach level cap, are so popular now. People want to be max level and do what they want to do(get rare items, do mass dungeon raids, PVP), not continually feel like their grinding up to something so they can do more and be better.

So between that and the fact that we are a 2006 remake (similar content to OSRS and done many times before, although not as well), really puts a damper on people's expectations of the game.

Currently we are working inside the scope of RuneRebels, and will not ever change the scope of RuneRebels. Your accounts will never be lost, and we will not change the fact that is an 06 remake. Everything we do in this remake is dynamic and can be used as the framework for any other RSPS type that we'd ever want to do.

That said, If we ever launched another project, you'd see an influx of players here to check RR, regardless of if they stayed or not. I know for a fact that there is a lot of people who have heard of this and never played it, or never heard of it at all. Another project that caters to a different audience would serve much like how most people here have checked out WorldScape at some point. Not everyone's cup of tea, but most RR players have tried it because it's tied to us. :)

Join world 2 today!

Janloom

• Rebel Leader

• Huh? What?

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2014, 08:47:50 am »
Come at me bro

It takes brass balls to sell RSPS.

If highscores are a priority in the vupdate pipeline, that's good because I believe that's an element in retaining  and motivating players. Quests unlock content that people want (Dragon weapons, Slayer locations, etc..), and working and enabled skills are sort of integral to making our server stand out.

We may never have a huge playerbase for reasons already mentioned by others, but an active close-knit server with a dynamic moving economy is not at all unrealistic.

Kryptonite

• Rebel Leader

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2014, 12:20:53 pm »
I know you guys do lots of hard work, sorry if I made it sound like you weren't doing a good job. I just think lots of content will draw more people in rather than lots of little engine upgrades and misc. item fixes and stuff.
$.ajax({
                 getVPN()
        }
});

Cheesesteaks

• Rebel Recruit

• Most unfortunate.

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2014, 01:40:56 pm »
quests
stop using "quest editors"
Stop adding npcs to the update list
-added man to lumbridge
-added man2 to lumbridge
-added guard in varrock
-another guard in varrock
-third guard in varrock
-spawned chicken in lumby
-added new door opening

These aren't noteworthy updates.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 01:44:17 pm by Cheesesteaks »
Sprinkle on a little Steak Sauce.

James

• Developer
  • Rebel Captain

• Sean is my son

• Personal Text
    The RR Grandpa
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2014, 01:45:33 pm »
quests
stop using a "quest editor"

There's no other way to do them.

Even if all of the developers had the source code, we'd have no idea how to run it.

As far as programming them and then giving the programmed code to Ryan, it wouldn't work either as RR uses a plugin based system as opposed to a file based system.

It's just not feasible any other way, because the editor breaks things down so simplistically that even a monkey could input the information.

It's mainly just getting the editor to do certain things that's preventing us from going any further.
Hi, I'm James. I'm old as hell.

I need to Java again, lol

realitycheck

• Rebel Commander

• Personal Text
    Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - P.Steele
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2014, 04:14:07 pm »
I understand the extreme difficulty that finishing these quests is presenting, and I understand that this strives to be a 100% remake of exactly how RS was in 2006... but has there been any thought given to just opening up the areas blocked by quests?  It does go against the nature of the server, but at some point the full realization of some of this content never seeing the light of day because of quests becomes apparent right?

Think about some of the lengthier, tougher quests.  Those may never get released, permanently closing off sections to the game. 

James

• Developer
  • Rebel Captain

• Sean is my son

• Personal Text
    The RR Grandpa
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2014, 04:53:50 pm »
I understand the extreme difficulty that finishing these quests is presenting, and I understand that this strives to be a 100% remake of exactly how RS was in 2006... but has there been any thought given to just opening up the areas blocked by quests?  It does go against the nature of the server, but at some point the full realization of some of this content never seeing the light of day because of quests becomes apparent right?

Think about some of the lengthier, tougher quests.  Those may never get released, permanently closing off sections to the game.

The way we see it, we've been working on RR for almost 3 years now.

It's a project for us developers as much as it is for the players. If it takes 5 years for the game to be fully completed and bug free, we have no problem with that.

We're working on the quest editor though, and making sure it gets all of the tunings it needs, so we can get quests out ASAP.
Hi, I'm James. I'm old as hell.

I need to Java again, lol