Author Topic: Partyhats  (Read 13702 times)

scrilla

• Rebel Captain

• View Profile
Re: Partyhats
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2013, 07:15:04 am »
vault, no this is a perfect time to release them. Robin i see where your coming from with this but im sure something can be done.

Frell

• Rebel Leader

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2013, 08:04:18 am »
Well, I understand your plan for holiday items. Seems to be a fair approach to distributing the items. How many is a hand full of people? Imagine if only 100 party-hats were dispersed? If the volume is to low, they may become ultra-rare and the price might possibility be to high. higher than any player could save up for until the price changes again. Not sure the amount of current registered players, but I think 80% of typically active players should receive holiday items. Hmm a tricky problem this is. Don't want to introduce too many, but at the same time you don't want to introduce too few.  8)
% of the active population at the time

Of course!

People could just make a bunch of new accounts to make their chances higher :P We'll have quite a few measures against that. We want everyone to have a chance. We're basically guaranteeing wealth for a handful of people, everyone needs a shot.

That is very kind of the development team, looking forward to see this in the near future, and here's hoping I get a Red. ;)

Will the players only be limited to one Partyhat, or one Christmas Cracker, or can they recieve more?

Keep up the good work!
Not everyone would get one, thats the catch :(

Brodie

• Rebel Leader

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2013, 08:16:25 am »
Well, I understand your plan for holiday items. Seems to be a fair approach to distributing the items. How many is a hand full of people? Imagine if only 100 party-hats were dispersed? If the volume is to low, they may become ultra-rare and the price might possibility be to high. higher than any player could save up for until the price changes again. Not sure the amount of current registered players, but I think 80% of typically active players should receive holiday items. Hmm a tricky problem this is. Don't want to introduce too many, but at the same time you don't want to introduce too few.  8)
% of the active population at the time

Of course!

People could just make a bunch of new accounts to make their chances higher :P We'll have quite a few measures against that. We want everyone to have a chance. We're basically guaranteeing wealth for a handful of people, everyone needs a shot.

That is very kind of the development team, looking forward to see this in the near future, and here's hoping I get a Red. ;)

Will the players only be limited to one Partyhat, or one Christmas Cracker, or can they recieve more?

Keep up the good work!
Not everyone would get one, thats the catch :(

Oh no, I understand that 100% I was just wondering if you guys are limiting it so people can't get more than one from the random giveout.

All your threads are belong to us.

scrilla

• Rebel Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2013, 08:16:42 am »

Not everyone would get one, that's the catch :(
[/quote]

What you could do is make crackers instead, so that people have to pull with others to get the hats because then there's a chance of the other player receiving luck.

Frell

• Rebel Leader

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2013, 08:36:28 am »

Not everyone would get one, that's the catch :(

What you could do is make crackers instead, so that people have to pull with others to get the hats because then there's a chance of the other player receiving luck.
[/quote]
They'll just make a second account and pull it on themselves

vault

• Rebel Leader

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2013, 09:43:36 am »
vault, no this is a perfect time to release them. Robin i see where your coming from with this but im sure something can be done.

can you give reasons that?

scrilla

• Rebel Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2013, 09:53:39 am »
aaah shoot didn't think of that. and vault because the communities small atm, if you release when bigger so many people will complain that its unfair because they didn't get one. If its smaller amount they tend to just carry on with what their doing.

vault

• Rebel Leader

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2013, 12:52:08 pm »
aaah shoot didn't think of that. and vault because the communities small atm, if you release when bigger so many people will complain that its unfair because they didn't get one. If its smaller amount they tend to just carry on with what their doing.

Did you just make that up? I would be far more sad if i didn't get one while the community is still small lol

The thing is, that ppl more likely join the server if there arent phats in the game... everybody profits from that ;)

scrilla

• Rebel Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2013, 02:26:20 pm »
Nope, because then people just think what is there to save. Up for.

vault

• Rebel Leader

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2013, 04:03:28 pm »
Nope, because then people just think what is there to save. Up for.

kk, then you will be fine if phats will be added tomorrow and you won't get one.. alright

scrilla

• Rebel Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2013, 05:34:31 pm »
I will, because i will then make money and eventually buy one knowing i've worked so hard for one. i never had more than 3m in real rs so obviously getting one of these in my bank would pleasure me, but also buying one would so either way im not fussed it would be extremely nice to have one either way and that's the way people need to see it, either way in the end everyone has to work hard for a phat and people who don't get them have to realize they can still get them with abit of work.

vault

• Rebel Leader

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2013, 06:42:17 pm »
I will, because i will then make money and eventually buy one knowing i've worked so hard for one. i never had more than 3m in real rs so obviously getting one of these in my bank would pleasure me, but also buying one would so either way im not fussed it would be extremely nice to have one either way and that's the way people need to see it, either way in the end everyone has to work hard for a phat and people who don't get them have to realize they can still get them with abit of work.

kk, so you see that people will be sad at both points of time (adding them now or in some weeks)

scrilla

• Rebel Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2013, 06:46:11 pm »
obviously just the way it is lol :p

Brad

• Rebel Soldier

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2013, 07:39:56 pm »
The people who dont get phats are going to be so mad.  ::)

ratman

• Rebel Recruit

• Personal Text
    <:3>~
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2013, 10:39:25 pm »
I might as well just give my 'two cents' on the topic of rares.

TL;DR Version: A "Small Ammount of Rares" will be hoarded, and used rarely in trade.

"If you do Decide to be insane and Read Version", here is a giant wall of text:

Some of the members that emigrated from Worldscape might recall a project called "Worldscape Blitz", which was in a ways, in-between a 2006 Remake and a normal RSPS.  On the first few days of the server, rares would be released daily though drop parties.  There were Crackers, H'Ween Masks, Disks of Returning, and Edible Rares (Easter Eggs, Pumpkins, Half-Jug Wines, and Disks of Returning).  At first, while the Economy was still weak, the rares at first were sold for about 10k each; normal, for right when they were released.

Yet people looking back at what happened to RS, they began to stockpile on the rares.  Server Population was decreasing, while inflation was increasing.  Phats jumped from ~250k each to over 1m, along with prices of the other rares changing as well.  I wouldn't exactly say that demand "decreased", but as the ammount of rares stagnated, prices of other items (Barrows, Bandos, BGS, SS, you get the point) fluctuated much more then the rares, they were lost as a median of trade.  Basically, prices of other items rose and fell much more then rares, which was stagnant.

In my opinion, rares will tank the economy.  You need a large playerbase to make discontinued items a valid portion of the economy, or else they'll hyperinflate/deflate.  One example of how discontinued items are GOOD for an economy would be a game called "Team Fortress 2", where some limited edition items (For example, "buds", worth ~27 keys [rougly $67.50 if you decide to buy items worth it]), as well as Extremely-Rare items ("Unusual Hats", which can be worth INSANE ammounts of money), which help to keep the economy stable.  Of course, money does guide the server, as one of the main bases for trading can be bought in the in-game store.

It's been seen time and time again, that having discontinued items with the intent of hoarding will harm the economy.  Take a look at the "Fish Masks" that were introduced into the RS economy.  Although in a VERY HIGH number, once they were discontinued, the price decreased to about half of what it was when they were unobtainable in the game.