Author Topic: Ry's Roadmap Update!  (Read 3040 times)

Ry60003333

• Owner & Operator
  • Rebel Captain

• View Profile
Ry's Roadmap Update!
« on: December 13, 2016, 03:41:40 am »
Roadmap Update

Hello everyone! I just wanted to make this post to give a high level overview of the roadmap for the servers! This is still a work in progress plan, but it should give you guys a good sense of the direction that we want to take the games and how we plan to mitigate many of the issues that we have experienced in the past. I also want to formally announce that Bill, Petter, and Onur have returned to assist me in the development and administration of the games, and I am very excited to be working with them again! 8)

Accounts / Login Server
One of my main goals is to get all of the AllGoFree sites using the same user database. I would like to merge the logins for the WorldScape and RuneRebels forum accounts, so you have a single login across both. To be clear, this will not merge in game accounts or the forums themselves, it will just tie them both to the same username and password. This will require a few database tricks and possibly a page for people to link their two accounts into one, so I will keep you updated on this.

The added benefit of this is that the friends chat will be linked between the two games, and it should help us form a larger, stronger, and more well connected community. In addition, any other test game worlds or services we create will use these accounts. :)

Blitz Engine / API
The effort that I am currently putting all of my energy towards is the new Blitz API. This will allow other developers to make plugins for the engine, and also modify existing plugins once they have been converted to use the API. This is what I have been doing on the livestream if any of you have been watching!

This a major effort and requires changes to every plugin, and there are currently over 80 plugins for the engine. However, progress has been very quick, and once all of the plugins are compiling again I will spin up a developer world to make sure there are no major regressions in the game. If all goes well, we will start looking for additional developers to take on some of the plugins. For example, one person could be responsible for the Woodcutting and Firemaking plugins, and would be in charge of fixing bugs or adding missing features to those plugins. These developers would have access to the Blitz API as well as the plugin they would be working on.

Bug Hunters
This goes hand in hand with the last point. In addition to having people focused on specific areas of the game, we would like to assign "Bug Hunters" to work with these new developers on finding bugs in the game and reporting them in the proper manner. These individuals would have direct access to file issues on the plugin repositories, where the developers would then review them, as opposed to regular players which report bugs on the forums. They would also be responsible for scanning the forums and screening bug reports, and ensuring that real bugs have an issue created in Gitlab.

Community
Overall, the theme is that we would like to grow the community and bring everyone closer together, and give members more responsibility of working on and maintaining the game. I've learned that I don't have enough time to do everything myself, which resulted in the stagnation of the game. By opening things up more and finding excited, talented individuals to join the team, I believe we can make some of the best private servers on the planet.

Let me know what you guys think!
Ry60003333
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 03:52:07 am by Ry60003333 »

Onur

• Owner & Operator
  • Rebel General

• View Profile
Re: Ry's Roadmap Update!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 03:56:33 am »
"Onur have returned to assist me in the development and administration of the games, and I am very excited to be working with them again! 8)"

yass

it isnt omar til omar says its omar

Famoo

• Quest Developer
  • Rebel Commander

• Personal Text
    Your friendly neighborhood Developer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 06:07:59 am »
I truly believe we are headed in the right direction this time, and this is the step we needed all along. Nobody deserves to work so hard with very limited help at hand. Teamwork makes the dream work. 8)
Official RuneRebels Discord: https://discord.gg/49KyKQJ

Brothership

• Quest Developer
  • Rebel Captain

• Onurs bitch.

• Personal Text
    Hey, you're pretty fly for a white guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 07:33:20 am »
I truly believe we are headed in the right direction this time, and this is the step we needed all along. Nobody deserves to work so hard with very limited help at hand. Teamwork makes the dream work. 8)
+1 for the short motivational poem in the end
The original G. Literally.

Stuart

• Developer
  • Rebel General

• #1 Coolest Person HURR

• Personal Text
    Thanks Omar. Its your fault.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 12:32:32 pm »
Awesome to here. For so long I got on the forums casually waiting for something exciting to be posted. So glad it paid off, I am so exicted for all of this! :D

Flustered

• Player Moderator
  • Rebel Captain

• Designated Memer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 12:36:06 pm »
Thanks for the update, this plan looks great. Can't wait to try to help out any way I can, even if it's gathering quest dialogues or something.

Ry60003333

• Owner & Operator
  • Rebel Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 02:37:53 am »
I'm glad to hear that you guys are excited! ;D

edub

• Veteran
  • Rebel General

• "Heroes will always be remembered, but legends never die."

• Personal Text
    #1 in Mining (99) & Smithing (99)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 06:47:24 pm »
It is nice to see that things are being worked on, looking forward to the updates.

Austin

• Community Manager
  • Rebel Captain

• Has a nice view of your bedroom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 09:57:12 am »
Woot woot  ;D