Author Topic: Highscores or similar?  (Read 7393 times)

ZzReVeNg3zZ

• Donator
  • Rebel Commander

• View Profile
Re: Highscores or similar?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 11:30:49 pm »
We used to have high scores for about a year, Ryan one of the server's owners and operators took them down in January to re-do them. They have not been back up since.

I'm sorry, but looking at what Edub just said makes me laugh, I mean what type of influence is that on a new player "took them down in January to re-do them, They have not been back up since". I'm not digging at Edub's post, it's just sheer fact that it takes this long JUST to re-do highscores, why not just put the old ones back up I had no problem with them.

edub

• Veteran
  • Rebel General

• "Heroes will always be remembered, but legends never die."

• Personal Text
    #1 in Mining (99) & Smithing (99)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 12:13:45 am »
I was just being real in that post, I'd rather not get people's hopes up in saying that they would be back up soon or anything to that nature.

Prayer

• Player Moderator
  • Rebel General

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 12:14:19 am »
We used to have high scores for about a year, Ryan one of the server's owners and operators took them down in January to re-do them. They have not been back up since.

I'm sorry, but looking at what Edub just said makes me laugh, I mean what type of influence is that on a new player "took them down in January to re-do them, They have not been back up since". I'm not digging at Edub's post, it's just sheer fact that it takes this long JUST to re-do highscores, why not just put the old ones back up I had no problem with them.

Well if you're genuinely interested, I'll tell you why.

Someone used the highscores page to "hack" us, using a vulnerability it had. They planted a file or something on to our VPS using the highscore page because it isn't coded to prevent attacks like that SQL Injection they did. Although they probably did get our database or not, they cannot do anything worthwhile with it because the passwords are Salted, so it's extremely hard for them to hack a single player.

Kevin's urgent post of the matter: http://www.runerebels.com/smf/index.php?topic=1367.msg7222

Now, why hasn't this been fixed or something?
Well, Ryan has been extremely busy with other stuff. Also fixing it, I'm sure, would be hard and time consuming since he has to recode the whole highscores page, make it function properly, and make it be extremely secure.

ZzReVeNg3zZ

• Donator
  • Rebel Commander

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 12:27:12 am »

Well if you're genuinely interested, I'll tell you why.

Someone used the highscores page to "hack" us, using a vulnerability it had. They planted a file or something on to our VPS using the highscore page because it isn't coded to prevent attacks like that SQL Injection they did. Although they probably did get our database or not, they cannot do anything worthwhile with it because the passwords are Salted, so it's extremely hard for them to hack a single player.

Kevin's urgent post of the matter: http://www.runerebels.com/smf/index.php?topic=1367.msg7222

Now, why hasn't this been fixed or something?
Well, Ryan has been extremely busy with other stuff. Also fixing it, I'm sure, would be hard and time consuming since he has to recode the whole highscores page, make it function properly, and make it be extremely secure.

Nah I understand, it takes 7 months for everyone to code a Highscores page, but even one minute a day, for seven months is 3.5 hours. Ryan could designate his toilet time to coding it xD

But yeah, I know, clearly there is good reason for this.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 12:29:34 am by ZzReVeNg3zZ »

Kevin

• Veteran
  • Rebel Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2014, 12:41:49 am »
Currently working on re-adding the HighScores.

They were removed due to a lot of bugs with them. But, we're working on getting some bug spray so we can get them back on. Anyone know a good number for an exterminator?

edub

• Veteran
  • Rebel General

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2014, 10:14:36 am »
Currently working on re-adding the HighScores.

They were removed due to a lot of bugs with them. But, we're working on getting some bug spray so we can get them back on. Anyone know a good number for an exterminator?

Those bugs have to be eliminated one rodent at a time!

Ry60003333

• Owner & Operator
  • Rebel Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2014, 07:33:50 pm »
Prayer is correct about the reason the highscores were removed; I wrote them waaay back when I was in like, middle school. :P

I am currently rewriting them using the PHP PDO library, and it is about halfway done. ;D

edub

• Veteran
  • Rebel General

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2014, 08:04:08 pm »
Prayer is correct about the reason the highscores were removed; I wrote them waaay back when I was in like, middle school. :P

I am currently rewriting them using the PHP PDO library, and it is about halfway done. ;D

That's good to hear that progress is being made on them =P

Onur

• Owner & Operator
  • Rebel General

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2014, 08:13:52 pm »

Aren't you still in middleschool

it isnt omar til omar says its omar

Alectrona

• Donator
  • Rebel Soldier

• Creator of the RuneRebels Promo Vid

• Personal Text
    Nyan Nyan Nyan Ryan?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2014, 08:51:11 pm »

Aren't you still in middleschool
Onur taking shots at Ryan. I like it.
Man's flight through life is sustained by the power of his knowledge.

Onur

• Owner & Operator
  • Rebel General

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2014, 06:00:01 am »

Working on redesigning the highscores, and making it responsive so it doesn't look like shit on your mobile phone :c

also let's give ryan a big shoutout cuz it's 5 am for him :'(

it isnt omar til omar says its omar

edub

• Veteran
  • Rebel General

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2014, 08:52:04 am »

Working on redesigning the highscores, and making it responsive so it doesn't look like shit on your mobile phone :c

also let's give ryan a big shoutout cuz it's 5 am for him :'(

Nice, I love how Charles is up there with all the admin accounts