Author Topic: The Best Idea of All Time  (Read 3235 times)

Carl

• Rebel Recruit

• View Profile
The Best Idea of All Time
« on: November 13, 2013, 05:57:41 pm »
So, Petter and I were having a chat. We got right down to business and a beautiful idea sprouted from our brains.

Why not do something about the accounts that are floating around in cyberspace? Those that are unloved and unused have shown no purpose to those who made them. We have more than 14,000 accounts described. Having 14,000 accounts with only 5-19 people active a day is bad for business. Now I'm no gypsy, but I think its safe to advise that newcomers may suspect something "off" about a server where 14K joined, yet only <19 are playing.

With this in mind, Petter and I developed a few options to do with these accounts:

1) Delete accounts that are lvl. 3 or similar, 5 months inactive, and have a total skill level [that is close to the number those of starting players have].
Or
2) Disable such accounts. If or when these "disabled" players decide to come back, they will have to choose a new name.
--In support of option 2, an email system could be implemented, where that person (after meeting all of the requirements for a disabling of an account), has one week to respond. If such email goes unheeded, the account is disabled/deleted.

Here are a few reasons why it is the player's liability in this case:

-You did not play on your "specially named account", an account with a name that some RR loving player could have used.
-You did not heed the email, which warned you that your account would be disabled in a week if not responded to.
(In support of the above option, 13 years of (the required age to make an account) is a mature enough age to assume that you should be checking your email often.
In addition, if you decided to make an account with [fake email, forgettable security questions, or you just don't care], shame on you).
-This server was made for the founders, they can do whatever they want.
-However, this server is also for the theme of: community vs individual. There are many people, (who I expect to come somewhere around the next few months) who would like to have a decent name. The individual who hogs a name and doesn't use it has no right.

Now, lets put this in the example of a real life scenario...

How would you like it if you were a father or a mother, and there was a special toy you wanted to get for your kid. There was one last toy available in a store, but it was reserved for someone who hadn't entered the store in 5 MONTHS. Would it be reasonable to ask the manager to put the special toy off reservation and buy it yourself? Yes. Very much so.

If you have any more suggestions, I could add them to this post.  :)

N0vapur3

• Rebel Captain

• View Profile
Re: The Best Idea of All Time
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 06:06:42 pm »
I support option 1. Although as you log in, it says you won't get reset, I'd find it hard to believe any lvl 3's or around there with just about nothing of worth in their bank would be bothered by this.

HappyguyForum

• Rebel General

• Personal Text
    Don't ever play leapfrog with a Unicorn...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 06:45:30 pm »
I support option 1. Although as you log in, it says you won't get reset, I'd find it hard to believe any lvl 3's or around there with just about nothing of worth in their bank would be bothered by this.
There are plenty of level 3's that skilled pretty damn hard to earn their place. I would go with option 2 for the reminding them to log in within a certain period of time or their name would be taken. We could then DISABLE not delete accounts because that would be very unreasonable to just delete someones hard earned skills (whether they are high or not) just because someone wants their name. Players will more than likely come back once more players are here also, most players aren't play simply because there isn't an active playerbase to attend to.
Selling sets of armor bronze-mith. message me in game for the prices if interested :P -happyguy3216

Prayer

• Player Moderator
  • Rebel General

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 07:00:36 pm »
How about just delete the accounts that have never logged in or have not past tutorial island. Those are most probably just 'saving' their name so no one can take it, or just someone who is never even going to log in.

Carl

• Rebel Recruit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 07:09:03 pm »
How about just delete the accounts that have never logged in or have not past tutorial island. Those are most probably just 'saving' their name so no one can take it, or just someone who is never even going to log in.

I like this^

Carl

• Rebel Recruit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 07:09:33 pm »

Thanks for the support  :)

N0vapur3

• Rebel Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 07:14:24 pm »
There are plenty of level 3's that skilled pretty damn hard to earn their place. I would go with option 2 for the reminding them to log in within a certain period of time or their name would be taken. We could then DISABLE not delete accounts because that would be very unreasonable to just delete someones hard earned skills (whether they are high or not) just because someone wants their name. Players will more than likely come back once more players are here also, most players aren't play simply because there isn't an active playerbase to attend to.

I know, option 1 spoke about total level.

1) Delete accounts that are lvl. 3 or similar, 5 months inactive, and have a total skill level [that is close to the number those of starting players have].

Kendall

• Rebel Captain

• Personal Text
    u dont even drink blue dew
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 07:34:06 pm »
I'm level 3. I was inactive for about 6 months. If your idea actually became a thing, I would be pretty upset.

Carl

• Rebel Recruit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 07:35:43 pm »
I'm level 3. I was inactive for about 6 months. If your idea actually became a thing, I would be pretty upset.

Well, I said lvl 3 + total skill level that is equal to a starting player (Like me, for instance).  ;)

Prayer

• Player Moderator
  • Rebel General

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 02:50:25 pm »

Well, I said lvl 3 + total skill level that is equal to a starting player (Like me, for instance).  ;)

Why not just delete players who have not completed tutorial island, or haven't even logged in-game yet..

Muse

• Rebel Leader

• kastom titel?

• Personal Text
    If Vatican then I can too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 04:30:10 pm »
Thread title reminds me of this:

Sorry for offtpic, i couldn't resist.

Brothership

• Quest Developer
  • Rebel Captain

• Onurs bitch.

• Personal Text
    Hey, you're pretty fly for a white guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 06:03:34 pm »
I approve of this.
The original G. Literally.

Austin

• Community Manager
  • Rebel Captain

• Has a nice view of your bedroom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 06:46:48 pm »
Yeah that's what I was getting at earlier. I would be upset too if I were just a regular player waiting for the 2.0 release. I believe that we should of course notify them first and then if they don't respond with an answer, we could then disable the account and force a name change.