Poll

Would you like the source to be accessable with others?

Yes, to James
23 (85.2%)
Yes, to Kevin
1 (3.7%)
No leave it with Ryan
3 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Getting work done.  (Read 5402 times)

HappyguyForum

• Rebel General

• Personal Text
    Don't ever play leapfrog with a Unicorn...
    • View Profile
Getting work done.
« on: March 29, 2013, 02:43:58 pm »
Over the past months i have noticed a graduall decrease of content updates. People are constantly pming me about "when is the next content update?" and i have to constantly tell them that "I'm not sure when". I am just going to put out a possible solution to all this "waiting" because while Ryan is a fantastic owner and is doing his best, it would help the playerbase, progress, and community if we just had someone (who is trusted) to work with the source code a little bit more. This way more things can get done than just bug fixes. I propose the thought of letting either Kevin or James to use the source code. No offense at all Ryan, but these members of staff are on ALOT more than you.

If we had staff with the code, content could be coming out alot faster like people are more fond to. Skills could be fully done, quests could be released sooner, more areas could be avalible to use. Things could get done and people would stop losing hope in the server. Don't get me wrong, i never lost hope in the server. As a forum moderator, i have seen lot's and lot's of posts regarding the health and wellfare of the server. Allowing another staff such as James or Kevin would prevent thoughts and comments such as these.

Ryan I know how protective of the source you are. Trust me i have been in a situation such as this. The thing is, there is a point to where you have to learn to trust people with your valuables. Trusting people can turn out very bad or very good, depending on the person you are trusting it with. IF you get someone your know very well and have known for a very long time (Kevin or James), you won't have to worry about the bad things happening. These are people you have known for 2 or 7 years. That is a very long time to know someone and by then that would be considered a very good friend in my book and i would trust with alot more then just the small things.

My best friend, me being 16, I have known for about 7 years as well. I trust him with literally everything and he trusts me with literally everything. I probably know every single one of his passwords, as him along with mine. Now i'm not saying to trust them with your passwords or anything, but I'm just saying that time can hold a big difference with the trust of someone you know. Back to the topic, I just really think you should let the community decide what is best for the server. You aren't giving up your ownership or anything, it would just help the server greatly if you could allow other people to work on the source for more content updates.

The community is dedicated and after a while of dedication you slowly start to see the lack of content updates there is at the moment. I use to tell people "There are content updates every week!" but now I'm not sure what to really tell them. Please take note of my suggestion as It can really change the course of the server in a very, very good way. I hope you don't take my age into note as "Oh he is just a kid he doesn't know what he is talking about!", because no matter the age, listening can allways make a difference. For example, companys sometimes use a kid's matter of perspective to get information about what the community is more attracted to in the world today. Like the Ipod, Apple sometimes does surveys for teenage kids on what they use the most on the Ipod and usually benefits them more than it hurts them. All's the community wants is a better chance at improving the server and I really hope you can think this over and not just give a "NO!" right away.

Thank you for your time,

Happyguy3216 and the Community
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 02:47:28 pm by HappyguyForum »
Selling sets of armor bronze-mith. message me in game for the prices if interested :P -happyguy3216

Cucking Funt

• Donator
  • Rebel Commander

• Personal Text
    Y0L0SWAG420BLEACHIT.
    • View Profile
Re: Getting work done.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 02:58:52 pm »
J4LYF.

N0vapur3

• Rebel Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 03:08:39 pm »
Kevin's inactive but if he was active, I'd trust him more. Regardless, I don't think the owner should hand the files to anyone else though. This is a huge project and I wouldn't want it to be thrown away. Even the most trusted friends can backstab you. Not saying either James or Kevin will do such a thing but it's a possibility. Either Ryan keeps his word by working on the server like he said on his I am Back thread or slowly watch the server fade to the point where it'll shut down from lack of donations.

Gornu

• Player Moderator
  • Rebel Captain

• Archmage of Fox Cities

• Personal Text
    World 6? Cakewalk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 03:16:15 pm »
The trust issue is a big deal.  Sure, a project can be done in more lump ability through more people.  What this comes down to, though, is if this project will be expedited by having more people work on the core of this game.  There are also matters of collective collaboration to make sure additions to the code correspond to compliment what is added and fixed.

Yes, the game would be updated more often, but it is up to Ryan to make the decision to implement more of a team effort in one or more programmers to additionally complete the game and trusting them not to use the framework for their own purposes.

|-|-|-|-|-|
|-|-|-|-|-|
|-|-|-|-|-|
|-|-|-|-|-|
Copy and paste this to add Waffles in RuneRebels! We have Chocolate, and Beer, why not

HappyguyForum

• Rebel General

• Personal Text
    Don't ever play leapfrog with a Unicorn...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 03:33:25 pm »
Kevin's inactive but if he was active, I'd trust him more. Regardless, I don't think the owner should hand the files to anyone else though. This is a huge project and I wouldn't want it to be thrown away. Even the most trusted friends can backstab you. Not saying either James or Kevin will do such a thing but it's a possibility. Either Ryan keeps his word by working on the server like he said on his I am Back thread or slowly watch the server fade to the point where it'll shut down from lack of donations.
The thing is, all of the complaints and "dying" could be avoided if someone else had access to the source. So much could be done right now if someone else had access. We could be soo much further if someone was able to code a little more often. Everyone knows Ryan is in collage and if we could get someone to code in Ryan's offtime, our playerbase could increase, content could be pushed out more, and even the community will start to thrive a little bit more.
Selling sets of armor bronze-mith. message me in game for the prices if interested :P -happyguy3216

N0vapur3

• Rebel Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 03:48:26 pm »

The thing is, all of the complaints and "dying" could be avoided if someone else had access to the source. So much could be done right now if someone else had access. We could be soo much further if someone was able to code a little more often. Everyone knows Ryan is in collage and if we could get someone to code in Ryan's offtime, our playerbase could increase, content could be pushed out more, and even the community will start to thrive a little bit more.

All of the complains and "dying" could also be avoided, along with no risk of someone undoing what Ryan has done, if Ryan was active and kept his promise. Stop using the College excuse. College is not as hard as you think it is. I doubt he is is a Junior or Senior in College right now and the workload isn't that bad and I'm pursuing a degree in General Business.

James

• Developer
  • Rebel Captain

• Sean is my son

• Personal Text
    The RR Grandpa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 03:56:32 pm »

All of the complains and "dying" could also be avoided, along with no risk of someone undoing what Ryan has done, if Ryan was active and kept his promise. Stop using the College excuse. College is not as hard as you think it is. I doubt he is is a Junior or Senior in College right now and the workload isn't that bad and I'm pursuing a degree in General Business.

College was the most stressful time in my entire life, and I own a business now.
Hi, I'm James. I'm old as hell.

I need to Java again, lol

phenomic

• Rebel Soldier

• Personal Text
    The mole ate me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 03:58:52 pm »
I voted no. I don't think the server is at the point of giving up the files. This server has lots of potential and I see it as too risky. Unless he admits to losing interest, nvm give up files I want lost city.

N0vapur3

• Rebel Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 04:19:06 pm »

College was the most stressful time in my entire life, and I own a business now.

That is why I said that I doubt he is a Junior or Senior. He's probably going through basic classes right now or just now started his main courses.

Cucking Funt

• Donator
  • Rebel Commander

• Personal Text
    Y0L0SWAG420BLEACHIT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 04:20:28 pm »

That's because you're dumb as fuck james.

Famoo

• Quest Developer
  • Rebel Commander

• Personal Text
    Your friendly neighborhood Developer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 08:13:22 pm »
I for one do not know the staff like some of you may. I've only been with the server for about a month now, but I've been able to catch just a tiny glimpse of what's going on behind the scenes of RuneRebels. The work is slowly crawling it's way into the game and the amount of online players per day is decreasing. From a certain point of view, I guess you could say that the server is dying. In my own opinion, giving another person such power as to working on the source code would really give RuneRebels the jump start it needs to get back it's horse power. Many great players have come and go in the community, and it wouldn't be right to have such a great server be ignored by the mass population of RSPS players longing for a good 06 F2P remake.

Onto the issue of trust; It's an amazing thing that can lead to great things. However, that all depends on who/what you put your trust into (and in this case it's a who ;]).

I'm not saying to give someone the power to access the source code, for I can't make that decision for the server. What I am saying is that doing so can really change the state of the server as well as the community.

Trust is like some unknown fertilizer that you may be thinking of adding to your plants to help them grow. It'll either turn out for the good, or just fucking destroy everything.
(^Made that beautiful simile all by myself)

Seriously though, trust is a leap of faith. It should not be dealt with foolishly, or else be prepared to find yourself hanging on the side of a cliff.

That's just my two cents. I hope it was an interesting read.
Official RuneRebels Discord: https://discord.gg/49KyKQJ

James

• Developer
  • Rebel Captain

• Sean is my son

• Personal Text
    The RR Grandpa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 08:27:57 pm »
Hi, I'm James. I'm old as hell.

I need to Java again, lol