Author Topic: Community Update!  (Read 11940 times)

Ry60003333

• Owner & Operator
  • Rebel Captain

• View Profile
Community Update!
« on: November 17, 2016, 12:42:57 am »
I've just made a post over on the WorldScape Forums about a similar topic, so you may want to give that a read!

Where have you been?
Unfortunately, life got the best of me and I was unable to dedicate the required time to keep up on new content for the games. :-[ I recently graduated college and was running a home automation startup for some time as well as working on a mobile MMORPG called http://adventureguildgame.com/. This game actually uses the same server engine as RuneRebels, and many improvements were made during the development cycle of that game. All of these changes have now been merged back into RuneRebels, and while they don't offer any content changes, provide a much cleaner API for creating new content, added stability, and cleans out a of the old cruft that I created while in middle/high school!

What is the future of RuneRebels
I would definitely check out the WorldScape post for my thoughts, but I would like to basically take on the role that Moparscape had now that the website has been sold. I would also like to somehow combine the RuneRebels and WorldScape accounts to make things much simpler. This would allow things like PMing between the forums, the friends list working between the games, and so on. It would also be great to have a single account if different games/servers are ever launched.

However, in addition I would love to continue the effort of completing nearly full emulation of RuneScape 2, and may want to open up plugin development to the community. Let me know what you guys think!

Wirt

• Player Moderator
  • Rebel Commander

• Personal Text
    -psst- over here!
    • View Profile
Re: Community Update!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 03:43:27 pm »
However, in addition I would love to continue the effort of completing nearly full emulation of RuneScape 2, and may want to open up plugin development to the community. Let me know what you guys think!

yes

Stuart

• Developer
  • Rebel General

• #1 Coolest Person HURR

• Personal Text
    Thanks Omar. Its your fault.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 05:02:29 pm »
Dude, like I always told you I am here if you need my help. I know a little bit of Java and am rusty, but I bet I can clean it off. Anything you may need from me just ask, I would love to help get things rolling again. If that means development, community stuff again since I was a community manager or just being here for the moral support I'm your man! :D Great to have you back.

HeavyB

• Supporter
  • Rebel Leader

• N-WORD PASS

• Personal Text
    I've got binders full of women.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 01:09:45 am »
Im with wirt. I am really excited to hear that last sentence. If development resumes on this server I would for sure be back and Im sure I have another friend that would be excited about that too. I would love to see a lot of the old players come back and some new ones. The game is funner with lots of people playing hopefully if updates resume the game will grow to the player base that it used to have and more! I'm optimistic about this server and I'm behind you 100% I believe in RR! :)

Ry60003333

• Owner & Operator
  • Rebel Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 02:05:28 am »
Dude, like I always told you I am here if you need my help. I know a little bit of Java and am rusty, but I bet I can clean it off. Anything you may need from me just ask, I would love to help get things rolling again. If that means development, community stuff again since I was a community manager or just being here for the moral support I'm your man! :D Great to have you back.
That would definitely be something that we would be looking for! We are still working out details of the plan, but it would involve scoping things down a lot into smaller, more manageable chunks of work. Any particular skill/area that you are interested in/very knowledgeable on?

Im with wirt. I am really excited to hear that last sentence. If development resumes on this server I would for sure be back and Im sure I have another friend that would be excited about that too. I would love to see a lot of the old players come back and some new ones. The game is funner with lots of people playing hopefully if updates resume the game will grow to the player base that it used to have and more! I'm optimistic about this server and I'm behind you 100% I believe in RR! :)

That is good to hear! One of the main things we want to do is grow the community base. That is probably the key part of bringing all of this back!

Stuart

• Developer
  • Rebel General

• #1 Coolest Person HURR

• Personal Text
    Thanks Omar. Its your fault.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 02:18:22 pm »
That would definitely be something that we would be looking for! We are still working out details of the plan, but it would involve scoping things down a lot into smaller, more manageable chunks of work. Any particular skill/area that you are interested in/very knowledgeable on?
I want to say I am amazing with Java, but reality is I still have tons to learn. I do know a good amount though and am willing to learn more if I have to. Also, community manager wise this server was my only gig, but Prayer and I never really got a chance to do anything. James gave us an admin account to share in the possibility we needed to use it, but the player base was practically already gone by the time we got put in.

I would be willing to help with both, maybe plugin/content approval before it gets implemented, community managing, etc etc.

edub

• Veteran
  • Rebel General

• "Heroes will always be remembered, but legends never die."

• Personal Text
    #1 in Mining (99) & Smithing (99)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 01:42:24 am »
I've just made a post over on the WorldScape Forums about a similar topic, so you may want to give that a read!

Where have you been?
Unfortunately, life got the best of me and I was unable to dedicate the required time to keep up on new content for the games. :-[ I recently graduated college and was running a home automation startup for some time as well as working on a mobile MMORPG called http://adventureguildgame.com/. This game actually uses the same server engine as RuneRebels, and many improvements were made during the development cycle of that game. All of these changes have now been merged back into RuneRebels, and while they don't offer any content changes, provide a much cleaner API for creating new content, added stability, and cleans out a of the old cruft that I created while in middle/high school!

What is the future of RuneRebels
I would definitely check out the WorldScape post for my thoughts, but I would like to basically take on the role that Moparscape had now that the website has been sold. I would also like to somehow combine the RuneRebels and WorldScape accounts to make things much simpler. This would allow things like PMing between the forums, the friends list working between the games, and so on. It would also be great to have a single account if different games/servers are ever launched.

Honestly Ryan I appreciate you being upfront and honest with us. I have been a past critic of this server for the lack of updates but I just graduated college last May as well, and I fully understand where you are coming from. I started a full time job recently and RR is unfortunately at the bottom of the totem poll in terms of my priorities.

I can say though as a long time member of this community that I am routing for this server's success and I hope that there will come another day where the community can grow back to the levels that it used to be 2-3 years ago. I will never play another private server other than this one. In my 10+ years playing private servers I have never been part of a community that has made me feel more at home than RR has. I think if any server can come back again it is RR. I am hopeful for the best and that the rest of our community will come back and rally behind you.

Regards,

Edub
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 10:01:37 am by edub »

Charles

• Veteran
  • Rebel Captain

• Personal Text
    Smitten with a knitten kitten.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 10:21:23 am »
Let me know what you guys think!

Any sort of revival of Runerebels would indeed be great, especially if we could get all skills trainable and hopefully a stable player base/economy.
But let us get our priorities straight!
This is the first thing that should be fixed.
(click to show/hide)

edub

• Veteran
  • Rebel General

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 10:40:04 am »

Any sort of revival of Runerebels would indeed be great, especially if we could get all skills trainable and hopefully a stable player base/economy.
(click to show/hide)

Garnu also made a post about this, I also agree, they should be removed from the highscores.

Flustered

• Player Moderator
  • Rebel Captain

• Designated Memer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 09:02:51 am »
Been awhile since I posted, I'm really glad to hear from you Ryan. I completely understand about college, I'm still in college myself and recently got a job, so my time has diminished greatly in terms of availability to do anything really. I can't say I'm amazing at Java, it's surely been awhile but I completed a Java course in school, and I'm about to embark on another course entitled 'Data Structures and Algorithms in Java.' Not sure how much use it may be, but if you find a way to let us, the players help out in any way, I'll be sure to try my best.

Best of luck with this RuneRebels revival, I'll be logging in every now and then :)

Pyro

• Rebel Leader

• Personal Text
    wew lad :^)
    • View Profile
    • scottyfillups.io
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 02:04:16 am »

(click to show/hide)

:^)
Plz star all my github stuff <333333

https://github.com/ScottyFillups

Charles

• Veteran
  • Rebel Captain

• Personal Text
    Smitten with a knitten kitten.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 04:43:15 pm »
:^)
You lil' memester.

In all honesty we need to see some change short term to get fully behind this whether it be posts on the forum weekly about your progress or something along those lines, not that i don't trust you Ryan but we have been let down by AGF before.

Slayer

• Veteran
  • Rebel Captain

• HEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEY

• Personal Text
    Namechange Sento -> Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 07:52:07 am »
Been awhile since I posted, I'm really glad to hear from you Ryan. I completely understand about college, I'm still in college myself and recently got a job, so my time has diminished greatly in terms of availability to do anything really. I can't say I'm amazing at Java, it's surely been awhile but I completed a Java course in school, and I'm about to embark on another course entitled 'Data Structures and Algorithms in Java.' Not sure how much use it may be, but if you find a way to let us, the players help out in any way, I'll be sure to try my best.

Best of luck with this RuneRebels revival, I'll be logging in every now and then :)
Don't forget that we made our own complete remake within 2 hours :^)

edub

• Veteran
  • Rebel General

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 04:19:00 pm »
I hate to be Mr. Pessimistic but is there any ETA on when we are going to see some of the updates and changes mentioned? It has been 2 weeks since this original post, I've been pretty busy myself as well but I am just curious.

Flustered

• Player Moderator
  • Rebel Captain

• Designated Memer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 04:46:40 pm »

Don't forget that we made our own complete remake within 2 hours :^)

Selling code to shear sheep for instant christmas crackers, only $4.99. Or purchase later the santa hat DLC for 3 easy payments of $3.50

also onur for admin again plz