Author Topic: Communication to players  (Read 5761 times)

xerkiby

• Rebel Recruit

• View Profile
Communication to players
« on: December 25, 2014, 07:08:39 pm »
This evening, several of who were online we talking about the future and current state of the playerbase of RuneRebels. We all seemed to have come to a conclusion that if we knew that there was work being done on the server, we wouldn't need to second guess the staff. So i'm suggesting that whenever there is work being done on a server, we have some kind of log to have that says 'worked on ____ today'  It doesn't need to come out, or be perfect... just... be written so we can see.
We would like more communication to us so we know this server isn't dead.

nijntje

• Veteran
  • Rebel Leader

• View Profile
Re: Communication to players
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 07:16:54 pm »
 +1

W19

• Rebel Recruit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 07:18:01 pm »
Support

edub

• Veteran
  • Rebel General

• "Heroes will always be remembered, but legends never die."

• Personal Text
    #1 in Mining (99) & Smithing (99)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 09:34:47 pm »
I would like to see some sort of weekly update or every other week type of update. I think that's a pretty reasonable request.

James

• Developer
  • Rebel Captain

• Sean is my son

• Personal Text
    The RR Grandpa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 09:50:51 pm »
Probably not going to happen.

We're just like you guys, we have lives as well. Very busy lives, at that. I'm just going to go ahead and come out and say it, RuneRebels is far from a high priority for Ryan, Kevin, or myself. Life comes first.

We've always worked at our own pace, ever since RuneRebels was created. Let me ask a question, if you were forced deadlines to do something that you were not paid for, spent your own money on, and consistently were told that you were going to fail/are failing, would you enjoy it? Would you want to keep going? We don't care if we have 900 players, we're doing it as much for ourselves as we are for anyone else. If we wanted it to be about the money or amount of players or anything like that, we would've sold the server to Moparscape last year when we were offered money for it.

I'll end it on this, I would love to bring you guys weekly updates. Hell, I'd like to bring you guys daily updates. But, it's just not going to happen. I can't afford to spend very much time on RR, Ryan is in college, Kevin works a full time job. That being said, RR is most likely not going anywhere. The fact we've been up since 2011 should at least speak for that.

We have updates planned for Ryan's vacation. Whether or not it goes anywhere, we'll see in a couple days/weeks time.

Quick edit: There's no need to second guess any of us. I'll tell anyone anything they want to know, I don't sugarcoat things.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 09:54:02 pm by James »
Hi, I'm James. I'm old as hell.

I need to Java again, lol

xerkiby

• Rebel Recruit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 10:22:47 pm »
It doesn't need to be actual changes that are available to us even, just a simple saying 'hey guys, looked over this and that for like 10 mins, nothing yet available to you - but progress was made -

That's good enough to me. It doesn't need to be every day, because I think we all understand that you have lives. But when you do actually work on it, just some sort of log of that.

edub

• Veteran
  • Rebel General

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 12:49:41 pm »
Probably not going to happen.

We're just like you guys, we have lives as well. Very busy lives, at that. I'm just going to go ahead and come out and say it, RuneRebels is far from a high priority for Ryan, Kevin, or myself. Life comes first.

We've always worked at our own pace, ever since RuneRebels was created. Let me ask a question, if you were forced deadlines to do something that you were not paid for, spent your own money on, and consistently were told that you were going to fail/are failing, would you enjoy it? Would you want to keep going? We don't care if we have 900 players, we're doing it as much for ourselves as we are for anyone else. If we wanted it to be about the money or amount of players or anything like that, we would've sold the server to Moparscape last year when we were offered money for it.

I'll end it on this, I would love to bring you guys weekly updates. Hell, I'd like to bring you guys daily updates. But, it's just not going to happen. I can't afford to spend very much time on RR, Ryan is in college, Kevin works a full time job. That being said, RR is most likely not going anywhere. The fact we've been up since 2011 should at least speak for that.

We have updates planned for Ryan's vacation. Whether or not it goes anywhere, we'll see in a couple days/weeks time.

Quick edit: There's no need to second guess any of us. I'll tell anyone anything they want to know, I don't sugarcoat things.

I understand your perspective James. I am also in college full time, I have a girlfriend, I work part-time during the school year and work full time (40 hrs/week) when I'm not in school. When I'm busy I usually don't have much time for runerebels either so I can see what your coming from. I get no benefit out of runerebels other than nostalgia as well, and honestly its still low on my priority list when I have other things going on in my life.

I'll be honest as well, I do get frustrated sometimes with the lack of updates but at the same time I realize why, because like you said you guys have your own lives and are busy. I am proud to say though that despite being frustrated every now and then I am proud that this server has been up and running for a long time. This is the only server I have ever gone to and had it last for a very long time, if someone would have told me 2 years ago that I would still be playing this server when I started I would have laughed at them, you guys proved me wrong and I appreciate it.

I do appreciate your efforts though James I have seen you online a lot more lately and I expect you guys to do the holiday event whenever time permits. Better late than never haha.

Janloom

• Rebel Leader

• Huh? What?

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 02:35:21 pm »
I've got more faith in this place not doing me over than Jagex, slow, infrequent but desired content is better than cash-grab schemes being rolled out weekly. I hope this place is always around.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 04:00:41 pm by Janloom »

nijntje

• Veteran
  • Rebel Leader

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 07:53:56 pm »
^same for me :)

Austin

• Community Manager
  • Rebel Captain

• Has a nice view of your bedroom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 05:19:06 pm »
It doesn't need to be actual changes that are available to us even, just a simple saying 'hey guys, looked over this and that for like 10 mins, nothing yet available to you - but progress was made -

That's good enough to me. It doesn't need to be every day, because I think we all understand that you have lives. But when you do actually work on it, just some sort of log of that.
10 minutes? WHO THE HELL HAS TEN MINUTES! I myself spend every second of my life jerking off or at school! I DO HAVE 15 HOURS AFTER SCHOOl... BUT I NEED EVERY SINGLE SECOND OF IT FOR HAPPY HAPPY FUN PLEASURE TIME. Lol.... totally kidding but that's what it feels like is going on in their lives XD

Ry60003333

• Owner & Operator
  • Rebel Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 05:51:17 am »
We would like to move towards a more open development approach so you can actually see the code we are working on; and contribute to it!

edub

• Veteran
  • Rebel General

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 11:58:42 am »
We would like to move towards a more open development approach so you can actually see the code we are working on; and contribute to it!

I know everyone one is busy but I think the community would appreciate that

Ry60003333

• Owner & Operator
  • Rebel Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 03:17:56 pm »
I also really want to set up a development blog. ;D