Author Topic: Recent Downtime  (Read 10969 times)

Ry60003333

• Owner & Operator
  • Rebel Captain

• View Profile
Recent Downtime
« on: November 11, 2014, 08:27:46 pm »
AllGoFree Downtime

Who?
As many of you probably noticed, all AllGoFree services were offline for the past few days. This was due to our lovely friends at Time Warner Cable, who decided to "quarantine" (turn off) the Internet at the location where the majority of services are hosted.

Why?
Time Warner turned off the Internet because we didn't have an @twc.com email address. I'm not kidding. They turned off our Internet to try and get us to register for an email address. Apparently this is a common thing.

Did they fix it?
No; at first, they didn't know how what was wrong. It took two days and many escalations to get a phone representative to finally tell us they blocked us. When he attempted to unblock us, it required a reboot of our modem, which then knocked out the home phone as well!

Then what?
It turns out that Time Warner had permanently blacklisted our modem, so we had to swap out our modem for a completely new one. This has finally gotten everything working again, after three days of terrible customer service for a problem that they caused.

What can we do?
If this downtime angered you, made you sad, or you even just noticed, please help us stop this type of behavior by ISPs. When I said on the phone that it shouldn't be legal for them to disable our service without notice and then give us the runaround about it, he said "actually we can, its in the contract".

These companies don't care one bit about their customers. If you have had to deal with AT&T, Verizon, Time Warner, Comcast, Cox, or any ISP or cellular provider on the phone, you know what I am talking about. Please visit the site below to try and save the Internet, so that new ideas have a chance at becoming great. Without things like net neutrality, AllGoFree wouldn't exist. Please help keep us alive!

typherium

• Rebel Leader

• View Profile
Re: Recent Downtime
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 08:30:41 pm »
so, any time-frame of when the server may be available?

Iron

• Rebel Recruit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 08:54:01 pm »

Server is back up at the moment!

edub

• Veteran
  • Rebel General

• "Heroes will always be remembered, but legends never die."

• Personal Text
    #1 in Mining (99) & Smithing (99)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 11:27:53 pm »

Server is back up at the moment!

I was on for about 10 minutes then it went offline again, I can't log back in currently. And shame on time Warner Cable, even if Comcast buys them it probably won't get much better.

Thoby

• Rebel Soldier

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 12:16:41 am »
That's just plain out terrible. What providers do to get what they want nowadays..
Gonna take a look at the campaign, looks rather interesting.

Anyways, glad to hear you at least did everything you could to restore stability to the server, thanks Ryan!

Server currently doesn't seem to accept players though, on the Game page it actually says that the server is online- but it won't let me (nor others) log on.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 12:19:29 am by Thoby »

typherium

• Rebel Leader

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 08:19:27 am »
so is it working or not? when will it be working? i was on last night for about twenty minutes, and can't get on this morning.

Wirt

• Player Moderator
  • Rebel Commander

• Personal Text
    -psst- over here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 09:04:47 am »
pm me when it's back up

Flustered

• Player Moderator
  • Rebel Captain

• Designated Memer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 10:17:53 am »
Thanks for notifying me, gonna stay away from TWC as long as I live.

edub

• Veteran
  • Rebel General

• "Heroes will always be remembered, but legends never die."

• Personal Text
    #1 in Mining (99) & Smithing (99)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 01:56:00 pm »
Tell them your considering to switch to another provider and see what they say lol

Onur

• Owner & Operator
  • Rebel General

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 01:59:06 pm »
Tell them your considering to switch to another provider and see what they say lol
the other one is even shittier :3

it isnt omar til omar says its omar

James

• Developer
  • Rebel Captain

• Sean is my son

• Personal Text
    The RR Grandpa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 03:27:00 pm »

Yep, we really don't have much of a choice. It's Time Warner, who has shitty customer service but up to 50 mbps down, or AT&T who has shittier customer service and max speeds of 6 mbps down in his area.
Hi, I'm James. I'm old as hell.

I need to Java again, lol

Thoby

• Rebel Soldier

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 03:50:31 pm »

Yep, we really don't have much of a choice. It's Time Warner, who has shitty customer service but up to 50 mbps down, or AT&T who has shittier customer service and max speeds of 6 mbps down in his area.

I could host in the mean time :3

#DutchInternetFTW

James

• Developer
  • Rebel Captain

• Sean is my son

• Personal Text
    The RR Grandpa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 03:56:32 pm »

#DutchInternetFTW

Unfortunately, it's not that easy, else I could host as well. Basically, if the login server was hosted anywhere else, it would break. Everything is set up to run just from Ryan's internet to prevent anyone from just grabbing the server and hosting it in case there ever was a breach in security and someone got their hands on the source.

We could tunnel to host out of a different connection, however, that would require Ryan to be at his house which is where it's hosted. He's currently at college, 6 hours away. We've tunneled to host it off Kevin's internet before, and unfortunately the tunneling makes the server sloppy and slow and not really worth playing. Everything should be resolved shortly, it's just unfortunate that Time Warner Cable caused all of this nonsense.
Hi, I'm James. I'm old as hell.

I need to Java again, lol

Thoby

• Rebel Soldier

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 04:04:16 pm »
Unfortunately, it's not that easy, else I could host as well. Basically, if the login server was hosted anywhere else, it would break. Everything is set up to run just from Ryan's internet to prevent anyone from just grabbing the server and hosting it in case there ever was a breach in security and someone got their hands on the source.

We could tunnel to host out of a different connection, however, that would require Ryan to be at his house which is where it's hosted. He's currently at college, 6 hours away. We've tunneled to host it off Kevin's internet before, and unfortunately the tunneling makes the server sloppy and slow and not really worth playing. Everything should be resolved shortly, it's just unfortunate that Time Warner Cable caused all of this nonsense.
Wow, sounds like a rather secure system!

And yeah, hopefully this all will just be resolved as soon as possible. Sucks that this has to happen now, but it sucks the most on Ryan's part. He's the one without access to internet :\
Hoping for the best though, we'll just have to wait and see.

Onur

• Owner & Operator
  • Rebel General

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 04:32:42 pm »

#DutchInternetFTW

I swer i have tunneled too I SWER

it isnt omar til omar says its omar