Author Topic: Do You Think The Player Base For 2006 Era RSPS Is Slowly Fading?  (Read 10601 times)

ZzReVeNg3zZ

• Donator
  • Rebel Commander

• View Profile
Re: Do You Think The Player Base For 2006 Era RSPS Is Slowly Fading?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 12:27:09 am »
Haha, you just gotta love the sad truth.

Major grave dig right there :3 But I guess if no-one grave dug on these forums, they wouldn't exist xD

edub

• Veteran
  • Rebel General

• "Heroes will always be remembered, but legends never die."

• Personal Text
    #1 in Mining (99) & Smithing (99)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 07:25:35 am »
Haha, you just gotta love the sad truth.

Major grave dig right there :3 But I guess if no-one grave dug on these forums, they wouldn't exist xD

Isn't gave-digging when a topic hasn't been posted in or updated in about 3 months? This post is only about a month old.

Elevate

• Rebel Commander

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2014, 01:50:42 am »
Not even a month. It was like 20 days old.

Just wanna-be mods at it again!  ::)

Ry60003333

• Owner & Operator
  • Rebel Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2014, 06:13:26 pm »
Since our system is modular, RuneRebels effectively serves as the "base" for any other private servers that we create; kind of like the vanilla Minecraft server without mods. :)

I can't begin to express how inept of an analogy this is. It would only be fitting if the Mojang ran their own servers for people to play then underground bootleg developers made their own servers, then it would be comparable to an RSPS. But that's just not how it is dude, you and I both know that. Jagex never intended for private servers to exist, and Mojang did from the fucking get-go. The only comparable thing is that they're both video games.

Also, @topic, "slowly fading"? RS remakes have already faded, its prime is long gone. It was a big hype 2 years ago then after 6-8 months no one really cared anymore.. This place exists off a snap decision, so the idea that you'll "always keep the server alive" is just ridiculous Ryan. You sound like a middle school girl who keeps telling her boyfriend they'll never break up. It's just not realistic. The practical reasons for people to levitate to RS remakes or even all RSPSs is limited at this point. Seriously stop sugarcoating every fucking aspect of these servers and just be honest for once gd.

People have written their own Minecraft servers, there is a list of them at http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Custom_servers. The analogy makes sense because when you download the Minecraft server, it is a single JAR file from Mojang; you then use modding tools to take class files from mods and inject them into the server software. The RuneRebels server works in a similar way, except plugins are built into the system.

The server scans a plugins folder for .JAR files to load, and dynamically loads them into the server. Without the majority of these plugins, the server is very bare. For example, almost all of the WorldScape specific code is in a single plugin that is not loaded on the RuneRebels server.

Although 2006 remakes may not be as popular, it still seems that RSPS communities like MoparScape and RuneServer are going strong, although they focus on newer revisions. Since our engine is version agnostic, we could add support for a 700+ revision and be up to date, but keep all of the content we have created.

I don't understand what I'm not being honest about, I've been running these since middle school and they haven't gone down. :o

Onur

• Owner & Operator
  • Rebel General

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2014, 07:10:12 pm »
Since our system is modular, RuneRebels effectively serves as the "base" for any other private servers that we create; kind of like the vanilla Minecraft server without mods. :)

I can't begin to express how inept of an analogy this is. It would only be fitting if the Mojang ran their own servers for people to play then underground bootleg developers made their own servers, then it would be comparable to an RSPS. But that's just not how it is dude, you and I both know that. Jagex never intended for private servers to exist, and Mojang did from the fucking get-go. The only comparable thing is that they're both video games.

Also, @topic, "slowly fading"? RS remakes have already faded, its prime is long gone. It was a big hype 2 years ago then after 6-8 months no one really cared anymore.. This place exists off a snap decision, so the idea that you'll "always keep the server alive" is just ridiculous Ryan. You sound like a middle school girl who keeps telling her boyfriend they'll never break up. It's just not realistic. The practical reasons for people to levitate to RS remakes or even all RSPSs is limited at this point. Seriously stop sugarcoating every fucking aspect of these servers and just be honest for once gd.

People have written their own Minecraft servers, there is a list of them at http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Custom_servers. The analogy makes sense because when you download the Minecraft server, it is a single JAR file from Mojang; you then use modding tools to take class files from mods and inject them into the server software. The RuneRebels server works in a similar way, except plugins are built into the system.

The server scans a plugins folder for .JAR files to load, and dynamically loads them into the server. Without the majority of these plugins, the server is very bare. For example, almost all of the WorldScape specific code is in a single plugin that is not loaded on the RuneRebels server.

Although 2006 remakes may not be as popular, it still seems that RSPS communities like MoparScape and RuneServer are going strong, although they focus on newer revisions. Since our engine is version agnostic, we could add support for a 700+ revision and be up to date, but keep all of the content we have created.

I don't understand what I'm not being honest about, I've been running these since middle school and they haven't gone down. :o

it isnt omar til omar says its omar

Slangin

• Supporter
  • Rebel Leader

• View Profile

Tennessee

• Rebel Leader

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2014, 11:51:08 pm »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAH

Ry60003333

• Owner & Operator
  • Rebel Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 12:28:03 am »
I LOVE THAT VIDEO! ;D

edub

• Veteran
  • Rebel General

• "Heroes will always be remembered, but legends never die."

• Personal Text
    #1 in Mining (99) & Smithing (99)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 07:23:04 am »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAH

Onur I got to hand it to you, that's pretty dam funny lol

Recoil

• Rebel Leader

• Power Absolute

• Personal Text
    Surprise, bitch!
    • View Profile
    • My Development Projects
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2014, 07:40:14 am »

Thanks for replying, here's another quick rejoinder.

You and I both know you've taken extended leave of absences all while saying you aren't going anywhere. C'mon man, you've never even apologized for all of the deadlines you've broken over the past couple years. On WS, you've constantly promised updates then you'll just - leave. For months at a time. Unannounced, and when you do post again you just make another "I'm back" topic so everyone can get extremely excited so it can happen all over again. What about the API man? The staff was promoting that shit at LEAST a month ago, hell I even gave you a compliment topic on WS for it cause I thought it was an amazing idea. But it still isn't finished. It's just "currently being worked on", like all the other millions of things on the to-do list. Dishonesty might be the wrong word, but at the very least you are giving mixed signals about it; your actions often contradict your words and you rarely own up to it.

As far as the Minecraft analogy, I was more referring to the community aspect of it. Minecraft is an indie-based game... RS never was. This whole RSPS thing? You do realize it's kind of illegal right? Like, if Jagex wanted to, they could just stomp their boot on WS or RR and we would have literally ZERO arguing grounds. RuneScape has never been open-source, this entire community is basically underground. That's why I said it can't compare to Minecraft. The MC server plugin is released to the public for the intended purpose of people to start private servers. Whereas RS has been an MMORPG, then "programmers" (really just teenagers like you and me with nothing better to do) de-obfuscated the client and used a LITTLE bit of wit to write servers.

My point being, nothing we do is noble here. It's pretty much illegal, almost entirely died out, and incredibly unreliable. The "developers" in this situation are high schoolers or kids going to university (like you and me) who just code the RSPSs in their free time to get a little bit of our creative itch out. So, whenever you say, "RR will never die :D", don't you think that's a BIT dishonest? I mean, how exactly can you promise that when big bad Jagex comes in the door with their paid lawyers and we're just shrugging our shoulders for answers? That's all I meant, I just think you're sugarcoating things.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 07:43:04 am by Recoil »

James

• Developer
  • Rebel Captain

• Sean is my son

• Personal Text
    The RR Grandpa
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2014, 03:03:53 pm »

You and I both know you've taken extended leave of absences all while saying you aren't going anywhere. C'mon man, you've never even apologized for all of the deadlines you've broken over the past couple years. On WS, you've constantly promised updates then you'll just - leave. For months at a time. Unannounced, and when you do post again you just make another "I'm back" topic so everyone can get extremely excited so it can happen all over again. What about the API man? The staff was promoting that shit at LEAST a month ago, hell I even gave you a compliment topic on WS for it cause I thought it was an amazing idea. But it still isn't finished. It's just "currently being worked on", like all the other millions of things on the to-do list. Dishonesty might be the wrong word, but at the very least you are giving mixed signals about it; your actions often contradict your words and you rarely own up to it.

As far as the Minecraft analogy, I was more referring to the community aspect of it. Minecraft is an indie-based game... RS never was. This whole RSPS thing? You do realize it's kind of illegal right? Like, if Jagex wanted to, they could just stomp their boot on WS or RR and we would have literally ZERO arguing grounds. RuneScape has never been open-source, this entire community is basically underground. That's why I said it can't compare to Minecraft. The MC server plugin is released to the public for the intended purpose of people to start private servers. Whereas RS has been an MMORPG, then "programmers" (really just teenagers like you and me with nothing better to do) de-obfuscated the client and used a LITTLE bit of wit to write servers.

My point being, nothing we do is noble here. It's pretty much illegal, almost entirely died out, and incredibly unreliable. The "developers" in this situation are high schoolers or kids going to university (like you and me) who just code the RSPSs in their free time to get a little bit of our creative itch out. So, whenever you say, "RR will never die :D", don't you think that's a BIT dishonest? I mean, how exactly can you promise that when big bad Jagex comes in the door with their paid lawyers and we're just shrugging our shoulders for answers? That's all I meant, I just think you're sugarcoating things.

I'm not a high school or college kid.

I'm just old :-(
Hi, I'm James. I'm old as hell.

I need to Java again, lol

Elevate

• Rebel Commander

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2014, 12:21:01 am »
I don't smoke dope,
I don't drink bourbon,
All I wanna do,
Is shake my turban.

Ry60003333

• Owner & Operator
  • Rebel Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2014, 07:49:24 pm »

Well, when I take an "extended leave of absence" I am actually still here in the background. I may not be posting on the forums, but being the system administrator of all this stuff is a ton of work. I have to pay the bills for the domains and the VPSes, keep the software on the VPSes up to date, as well as all of the software on the server at my house. Things like power outages and other physical events at my house also cause me to have to reboot and turn all of the servers back on. There is the database server, the web server, the login server, and the game server. So while I was "gone", I was still maintaining all of this infrastructure.

The API is currently being worked on, and we are most likely going to release the Halloween event plugin as an example; although it makes use of a bunch of private API calls, it will be a good example for the power of the plugin system. Do you want me to just shut everything down and give up? :o

And yes, Jagex could shut us down if they wanted too, but open sourcing the software would allow other people to run it. They can't remove the source code from the Internet! Also, Minecraft is not open source; the protocol for the client and server had to be reverse engineered, just like the protocol for RuneScape servers. Technically they are extremely similar, which is why the Blitz engine was able to be used for a Minecraft server.

When we started RuneRebels, it was because we wanted to preserve the game that we, and a very large community of people, knew and love, when Jagex decided to change into a company purely motivated by profit. This was before they launched OSRS, which did greatly impact our player base and interest in the project. However, RuneRebels won't die as long as I have the option of maintaining it.

realitycheck

• Rebel Commander

• Personal Text
    Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - P.Steele
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2014, 01:33:39 am »
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 01:55:42 am by realitycheck »

Pur3 5tr7

• Rebel Recruit

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2014, 07:04:17 pm »
Unfortunately, Jagex has managed to mess RuneScape up completely, in my humble opinion. I remember when I used to play, from 2006. 2006, free to play noob, gathering robes and small misc. items like burnt bones from the wilderness, training on goblins, etc. 2007, got mems and life became awesome. Spent my days in love with the RS world. 2008 was the great year when Summoning was introduced (right?), members was great and fun to play, and free to play was doable. 2010, things took a turn for the worse with the graphics. I logged on yesterday, and my god... looks like a gay WoW?

I think after the wilderness dillema, Jagex lost a lot of people. Since then, a few have come back, but RS3 definitely lost even more (old/veteran) players. If it came to that, and I wasn't in the know regarding RSPS nor having worked on my own, I'd have probably given up on the game and never come back to it. Its the RSPS communities that kept me going, especially the 317 edition that a lot of people used to work on. I think people have moved on, and there are few people as attached to this childhood-defining game as I am.

And you know, even if RS dies, and RS06/RS07 players, both RSPS and official, dissipate, I will always have my 317 06 replica, that I can play whenever I want, any day of my life, to remember what it was like to be me so many years ago, :')