Author Topic: Calling out a Know It All  (Read 8349 times)

Gornu

• Player Moderator
  • Rebel Captain

• Archmage of Fox Cities

• Personal Text
    World 6? Cakewalk.
    • View Profile
Calling out a Know It All
« on: April 08, 2014, 02:54:38 am »
Two or more players not being able to steal from the same stall at the same time is right. Was always like that. :o

Riipiin, as far as sharing resources, that implement goes back to sharing ore and other resource gathering.  If you stand by that argument, we'll see what a lot of olbies say in Rune Locus as far as players sharing a market stall.  It works in OSRS and that revision is only roughly a year after this one.

Here's my query at Rune Locus: Seeking information on stall theiving mechanic
I don't remember it ever working and I have 95 thieving on my main before I quit runescape. Btw, this isn't an exact 317 revision. Its closer to 377, and 317 was in 2005. :)

Riipiin, as much as you try to help here, when it comes to functionality in either having source material for this revision or just using common sense, I think you should do either one when it comes to things like this bug you think is already correct and believing it as it was on pure speculation.

Think about it.  Back in mid 2006 there had to be at least 150k real players registered playing with 25 servers rotating every day of player base fluctuations anywhere from an eighth full to max at 2k players.  Do you really think Jagex would force every player on any given server interested in stall methods to share stalls for training on whichever stall a player could steal from?  If only one player could use one stall and the rest of the trainers had to compete with whoever steals from the same stall that would be one hell of gameplay issues players would vehemently complain about.

How long was thieving in the game until 317?  Rune Wikia says four years.  If Jagex initially had only one player able to thieve from one stall, I'm pretty sure they would allow any amount of players on that stall to steal at the same time very quickly.  If they kept it like your half-assed implied memory, any stall would be empty, no real player competes with any player for who gets the goods, especially with many of the stand alone stalls.  Your conclusion flies in the face of quality assurance and I think you really need to lay off the "know it all" syndrome.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 11:38:11 am by Garnu »

|-|-|-|-|-|
|-|-|-|-|-|
|-|-|-|-|-|
|-|-|-|-|-|
Copy and paste this to add Waffles in RuneRebels! We have Chocolate, and Beer, why not

Slayer

• Veteran
  • Rebel Captain

• HEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEY

• Personal Text
    Namechange Sento -> Slayer
    • View Profile
Re: Calling out a Know It All
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 03:00:41 am »
Ooooh
•grabs popcorn•

Kendall

• Rebel Captain

• Personal Text
    u dont even drink blue dew
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 03:21:29 am »

Slayer

• Veteran
  • Rebel Captain

• HEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEY

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 03:23:51 am »

Stuart

• Developer
  • Rebel General

• #1 Coolest Person HURR

• Personal Text
    Thanks Omar. Its your fault.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 03:25:44 am »
Two or more players not being able to steal from the same stall at the same time is right. Was always like that. :o

Riipiin, as far as sharing resources, that implement goes back to sharing ore and other resource gathering.  If you stand by that argument, we'll see what a lot of olbies say in Rune Locus as far as players sharing a market stall.  It works in OSRS and that revision is only roughly a year after this one.

Here's my query at Rune Locus: Seeking information on stall theiving mechanic
I don't remember it ever working and I have 95 thieving on my main before I quit runescape. Btw, this isn't an exact 317 revision. Its closer to 377, and 317 was in 2005. :)

Riipiin, as much as you try to help here, when it comes to functionality in either having source material for this revision or just using common sense, I think you should do either one when it comes to things like this bug you think is already correct and believing it as it was on pure speculation.

Think about it.  Back in mid 2006 there had to be at least 150k real players registered playing with 25 servers rotating every day of player base fluctuations anywhere from an eighth full to max at 2k players.  Do you really think Jagex would force every player on any given server interested in stall methods to share stalls for training on whichever stall a player could steal from?  If only one player could use one stall and the rest of the trainers had to compete with whoever steals from the same stall that would be one hell of gameplay issues players would vehemently complain about.

How long was thieving in the game until 317?  Rune Wikia says four years.  If Jagex initially had only one player able to thieve from one stall, I'm pretty sure they would allow any amount of players on that stall to steal at the same time very quickly.  If they kept it like your half-assed implied memory, any stall would be empty, no real player competes with any player for who gets the goods, especially with many of the stand alone stalls.  Your conclusion flies in the face of quality assurance and I think you really need to lay off the "know it all" syndrome.
Well this is cute. I was never stating what I say is fact. I simply said that is what I believed and what I remembered happening. And I wasn't trying to be a know-it-all when I was letting you know this isn't a 317, I was simply educating you. If you really have to post a rant thread about something you didn't know, I have lost respect for you as that is pretty pathetic. This thread almost seems hypocritical to me.

I will put this to an end here and say that what I remember is stealing gems from a gem stall in ardougne and the first one to click the stall would get the loot. This was roughly in 2008 or 2009, not completely sure. Possibly its the stall itself, or maybe I am right about this. Maybe I am not, I am accepting the fact I don't know it all and sure hope you can learn to comprehend my intentional meanings behind me posts as there is normally something useful behind them.

Oh, one last thing. You see pretty unsure of this yourself as you had to resort to a pathetic RSPS community to answer your question where you still had no responses. Theres what you remember and there is what I remember. If what you remember is correct, then so be it is correct. But how dare you come here accusing me of knowing it all when you're sitting here doing the same saying I am wrong when you don't even know if what you believe is correct.

PS: I dig the beard.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 03:41:23 am by RiiPiiN »

Elevate

• Rebel Commander

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 08:32:41 am »
I'm sorry but I can't help myself.

"I was simply educating you."
- How're you educating someone when you don't even know the answer yourself? The whole first post really put you in your place, It's one of those times you just have to man up and realise that Garnu was the one doing the educating.

"you had to resort to a pathetic RSPS community"
- Rune Locus has a pathetic community? Well I'm sure more than half would know the answer to this unresolved question, what does that make us?

Garnu -1
Riipiin - 0

Slayer

• Veteran
  • Rebel Captain

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 08:39:20 am »

- How're you educating someone when you don't even know the answer yourself? The whole first post really put you in your place, It's one of those times you just have to man up and realise that Garnu was the one doing the educating.

- Rune Locus has a pathetic community? Well I'm sure more than half would know the answer to this unresolved question, what does that make us?

Garnu -1
Riipiin - 0
Out of popcorn :(

Stuart

• Developer
  • Rebel General

• #1 Coolest Person HURR

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 09:35:18 am »

Garnu -1
Riipiin - 0
1, was aimed at me telling him this is not an exact 317 revision. Great reading.

2, any person from Moparscape who is a dedicated member, like myself, would say the same thing as me. Its where the outcasts of Moparscape and RuneServer go. This isn't a programming community, its a private server community. Theres a big difference there.

And finally, no the first post did not put me in my place. Far from it to be honest.

Thanks for an entertaining thread. this is quite the read.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 09:45:12 am by RiiPiiN »

James

• Developer
  • Rebel Captain

• Sean is my son

• Personal Text
    The RR Grandpa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 01:35:27 pm »
i like women
Hi, I'm James. I'm old as hell.

I need to Java again, lol

Kendall

• Rebel Captain

• Personal Text
    u dont even drink blue dew
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 01:36:53 pm »

Garnu -1
Riipiin - 0
1, was aimed at me telling him this is not an exact 317 revision. Great reading.

2, any person from Moparscape who is a dedicated member, like myself, would say the same thing as me. Its where the outcasts of Moparscape and RuneServer go. This isn't a programming community, its a private server community. Theres a big difference there.

And finally, no the first post did not put me in my place. Far from it to be honest.

What is the difference between them and us? I'm not choosing any sides or anything, but the only difference between a coder and a non coder is that one codes and the other one doesn't. A programmer's only job is to code the game, not to know the game. Both the coder and the non coder both have the same knowledge depending on whom you compare. Take Ryan and Sento, for example. Ryan is a programming genius while Sento knows nothing about it. Just because Sento is borderline retarded does not mean he knows any less about the game than Ryan does.
I love you Sento

Gornu

• Player Moderator
  • Rebel Captain

• Archmage of Fox Cities

• Personal Text
    World 6? Cakewalk.
    • View Profile
Re: Calling out Know It Alls
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 01:54:03 pm »
All right Riipiin, I'll admit it it, I don't know a client 194 revision from a 465, from now on I'll just say the year the revision was in and go with that.  Though I think it does make sense for even the 317 to have done it the way that seems most logical to me anyways.

Still, attempting to correct a notion on a game mechanic with game realism in mind and saying, mainly this stall thieving ability that any stall is first come first serve really shows fantastical fanatical idealism in a game mechanic that, I'll repeat what I said earlier in this topic, flies in the face of quality assurance.

You are right about the gem stall, though.  I can imagine that stall watchers would compete to see who could steal from that stall first on a respawn.

But if all stalls back then only allowed one person and only one person to extract goods from any one stall, there would be old guides out there in the web archive specifically stating stalls are piss poor training methods because of this mechanic.

The fast respawn stalls seem notorious for allowing any amount of trainers on them getting the goods on simultaneous steals.  If a simultaneous steal was the way it was done for all stalls it also wouldn't make sense for the programmers to segregate any other stall in prevent the more valuable stalls in this same fashion of injecting valuable resources in to the economy unless the player bots to do so.  More lines of code makes the engine a bit larger.  It is much easier to program a skill mechanic the same in a scope of a training option.

From here on down, for the sake of not picking out Riipiin (he's a prime example of this, but the world has plenty other people that do this) I hereby speak on regard to those that are an excuse to language expression, oral or written composition, in any forum or social setting of anything else below this statement.

Next time before you make a statement like that, type it up and look at what you just typed.  Don't post it right away, read it and think to yourself on a few things: is this really right, would this have worked that way, does common sense say this is how it is/was, in logic for realistic implements would this have been a successful at the time, did any tip site in the past back this up.  I'll admit it, my suggestions on what to think about in stating suggestions rehash themselves, but I expand similar points in some of the successive check suggestions because there's chaotic speculation, and then there's reasoning using logic.

Oh, while you can correct yourself after the fact of defense in saying "It was an opinion!" or "I didn't say it was fact!" or "Don't take it so seriously!" hours after to make up for yourself, it shows lack of articulation in whatever language your composing such things and makes your reputation of such, or anyone's reputation on a forum as lazy and lacking observed qualities downgrading any other feature of a person may show of productive ability in other speculative situation.  Sound forum posting etiquette on regular basis shows you know how to write up concise points.  How many times does the staff, potential veterans, and the very likable forum contributors correct themselves on any post they make to defend their posts on what they typed if someone makes accusation that their post initially sounds stated at a fact that really was an opinion?  I remember Riipiin doing this infrequently, but it was done often enough.

That goes out to anyone that thinks they are above this whole point and think they are holier than thou. does not apply to "me", thinks Garnu is a social nazi and needs some good meds to calm him down, or I, [insert forum name], do not give a flying flip how bad I make myself look in simple writing composition, I'm totally humble but I still have to defend myself and correct my obvious mistakes once again showing that I contradict myself often (that is what it comes out to be when people make a fool out of themselves, I may have stated contradiction in that last observation but it shows what I think posters don't say because it really incriminates them).

|-|-|-|-|-|
|-|-|-|-|-|
|-|-|-|-|-|
|-|-|-|-|-|
Copy and paste this to add Waffles in RuneRebels! We have Chocolate, and Beer, why not

Slayer

• Veteran
  • Rebel Captain

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 02:04:32 pm »
Sento is borderline retarded
I love you Sento

Stuart

• Developer
  • Rebel General

• #1 Coolest Person HURR

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 02:13:46 pm »
All right Riipiin, I'll admit it it, I don't know a client 194 revision from a 465, from now on I'll just say the year the revision was in and go with that.  Though I think it does make sense for even the 317 to have done it the way that seems most logical to me anyways.

Still, attempting to correct a notion on a game mechanic with game realism in mind and saying, mainly this stall thieving ability that any stall is first come first serve really shows fantastical fanatical idealism in a game mechanic that, I'll repeat what I said earlier in this topic, flies in the face of quality assurance.

You are right about the gem stall, though.  I can imagine that stall watchers would compete to see who could steal from that stall first on a respawn.

But if all stalls back then only allowed one person and only one person to extract goods from any one stall, there would be old guides out there in the web archive specifically stating stalls are piss poor training methods because of this mechanic.

The fast respawn stalls seem notorious for allowing any amount of trainers on them getting the goods on simultaneous steals.  If a simultaneous steal was the way it was done for all stalls it also wouldn't make sense for the programmers to segregate any other stall in prevent the more valuable stalls in this same fashion of injecting valuable resources in to the economy unless the player bots to do so.  More lines of code makes the engine a bit larger.  It is much easier to program a skill mechanic the same in a scope of a training option.

From here on down, for the sake of not picking out Riipiin (he's a prime example of this, but the world has plenty other people that do this) I hereby speak on regard to those that are an excuse to language expression, oral or written composition, in any forum or social setting of anything else below this statement.

Next time before you make a statement like that, type it up and look at what you just typed.  Don't post it right away, read it and think to yourself on a few things: is this really right, would this have worked that way, does common sense say this is how it is/was, in logic for realistic implements would this have been a successful at the time, did any tip site in the past back this up.  I'll admit it, my suggestions on what to think about in stating suggestions rehash themselves, but I expand similar points in some of the successive check suggestions because there's chaotic speculation, and then there's reasoning using logic.

Oh, while you can correct yourself after the fact of defense in saying "It was an opinion!" or "I didn't say it was fact!" or "Don't take it so seriously!" hours after to make up for yourself, it shows lack of articulation in whatever language your composing such things and makes your reputation of such, or anyone's reputation on a forum as lazy and lacking observed qualities downgrading any other feature of a person may show of productive ability in other speculative situation.  Sound forum posting etiquette on regular basis shows you know how to write up concise points.  How many times does the staff, potential veterans, and the very likable forum contributors correct themselves on any post they make to defend their posts on what they typed if someone makes accusation that their post initially sounds stated at a fact that really was an opinion?  I remember Riipiin doing this infrequently, but it was done often enough.

That goes out to anyone that thinks they are above this whole point and think they are holier than thou. does not apply to "me", thinks Garnu is a social nazi and needs some good meds to calm him down, or I, [insert forum name], do not give a flying flip how bad I make myself look in simple writing composition, I'm totally humble but I still have to defend myself and correct my obvious mistakes once again showing that I contradict myself often (that is what it comes out to be when people make a fool out of themselves, I may have stated contradiction in that last observation but it shows what I think posters don't say because it really incriminates them).

317 was 2005, just an FYI. Simply educating, not criticizing at any point. We're closer to the 377 revision if I am not mistaken.

Perhaps I made it sound like what I remember happening with the gem stall happened with all stalls, which I didn't intend which I should have been more clear on in the first place.

I would also like to note that I don't believe you know what you're talking about when it comes to actual code in the server. Adding different rates of thieving from stalls would increase the amount of code, but would not effect the engine in anyway. The engine itself is separate from content. So just making that clear.

I agree that I could have come about this a different way and I apologize for coming off as a complete asshole, but I still see this type of thread as hypocritical. You're calling me a know it all, yet you're claiming what I know to be true false which makes you know it all. So pretty much, neither side can win here. I now think its a mix of our ideas and what we know it as.

Garnu -1
Riipiin - 0

What is the difference between them and us? I'm not choosing any sides or anything, but the only difference between a coder and a non coder is that one codes and the other one doesn't. A programmer's only job is to code the game, not to know the game. Both the coder and the non coder both have the same knowledge depending on whom you compare. Take Ryan and Sento, for example. Ryan is a programming genius while Sento knows nothing about it. Just because Sento is borderline retarded does not mean he knows any less about the game than Ryan does.
I love you Sento
These communities are almost completely different. Moparscape, Rune-Server and RuneLocus cover a more board and general area of discussion, not solely a 2006 revision of a game. The three communities I listed also have super smart people and super stupid people, however, among them all RuneLocus is the lowest reputation wise. The only thing they are noteable for is the toplist which I still personally think is lower than moparscape's toplist. The community and the atmosphere of the forums between those communities and this community are totally different and that is why i remain a member of this community to this day.

Sento is borderline retarded
I love you Sento
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Gornu

• Player Moderator
  • Rebel Captain

• Archmage of Fox Cities

• Personal Text
    World 6? Cakewalk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 02:22:44 pm »
Alright, then it is agreed.  I'll adjourn this rant and further more I plan on calling out hypocrites on the appropriate board, off topic on how screwed up our common knowledge base is in politics, science, health care, and other things not pertaining to this game we come to know and love.

Thank you and have a good day.

|-|-|-|-|-|
|-|-|-|-|-|
|-|-|-|-|-|
|-|-|-|-|-|

Ry60003333

• Owner & Operator
  • Rebel Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 03:51:32 pm »