Author Topic: [Windows Users] How To Fix "java' is not recognized" Errors  (Read 9356 times)

Cheshire Cat

• Veteran
  • Rebel Captain

• Personal Text
    Away for personal reasons.
    • View Profile
[Windows Users] How To Fix "java' is not recognized" Errors
« on: February 09, 2013, 09:38:57 pm »
Fixing 'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Hello everyone, if you're looking here you've probably seen a error like this.
Fear not though, I'm going to get you back up and in the game.

Code: [Select]
C:\Users\=Username_Here=\FileLocation\RuneRebels\RuneRebels\jar>title RuneRebels

C:\Users\=Username_Here=\FileLocation\RuneRebels\RuneRebels\jar>java -Xmx25M -jar .\jarloader
;jar -configurl http://www.runerebels.com/resources/config.agf
'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\=Username_Here=\FileLocation\RuneRebels\RuneRebels\jar>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

Error message's like this are normally caused by either;
1. Not having Java installed/installed correctly.
2. Not having your "Environmental Variables" set properly.

Step One:
We're going to check to make sure we have the latest versions of both JRE (Java Runtime Environment) and JDK (Java Development Kit).

Use the link below to download the most updated versions of both.
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

If this fixes your problem, great! If not, continue to Step Two, we're going to set your Environmental Variables.

Step Two:
Now that we've got JRE and JDK installed we're going to set up your computer to recognize the commands our client needs to run, this is why we got the error 'java' is not recognized. There are two main ways of adding your environmental variables, both will give the same results.

Option 1: Your first option is to do this automatically with a tool that sets your environment variables for you (preferred method for those not so "computer savvy"). (This tool was made by the user Lin on MoparScape.

1. Open the program.
2. Click on the "Search" button.
3. Navigate to your "JDK" folder. It starts at "C:\Program Files\Java". Basically, go there and click the folder that starts with "jdk".
4. If you did it right, it won't give you any warnings.
5. Click the "Apply" button. If done right, it should say "Successfully changed!"

Congratulations!! You did it!!!

Note: You must have permissions to edit your environment variables. For example, if you're using Windows Vista, you must run under an Administrator account.

~Lin

Click here to download this tool.

Option 2:
For those users who don't trust the download or simply want to do it manually, this video will explain everything (I do not own this video). WARNING: Manually editing system files/variables can be risky! If you aren't confident in what you're doing, use the automatic tool, don't risk it!

After you're done you should be ready to play!

Still having problems? Post below and I'll help you further. :)

Signed,
Cheshire Cat
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 07:45:42 pm by Cheshire Cat »

Jrub

• Rebel Captain

• Personal Text
    Praise ms
    • View Profile
Re: [Windows Users] How To Fix "java' is not recognized" Errors
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 09:41:12 pm »
You guys should put the exe up for download again, I think it would solve problems + I like it and use it because I can launch from steam :o
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 09:45:39 pm by Cheshire Cat »

Cheshire Cat

• Veteran
  • Rebel Captain

• Personal Text
    Away for personal reasons.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 09:49:16 pm »
You guys should put the exe up for download again, I think it would solve problems + I like it and use it because I can launch from steam :o
People normally don't like .exe files and they can still cause problems like this if your computer isn't properly set up. For now I think it's best we continue posting our clients open source as it not only builds trust that our users can look at what we're running on their computers, but we can also not have our downloads blocked as "malicious" since most browsers freak out over .exe files. :) Plus it's better our users fix this early on rather than have it cause problems down the lines for other programs that may be more important.

Edit: Accidently clicked modify on your post instead of quote. Sorry.

AutoIT

• Rebel Recruit

• Personal Text
    I'm not afraid of death -- I just don't want to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 07:05:54 pm »
If you are running windows 8 and need to install .NET Framework 3.5 so you can run the Java EV Setter go to this link for more info

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/hh506443(v=VS.110).aspx