Author Topic: Forum Design/Development board  (Read 3422 times)

Trick

• Rebel Recruit

• View Profile
Forum Design/Development board
« on: January 15, 2013, 02:14:50 pm »
    Hello,
    My idea is to make a 'corner' for developers and designers were they can share, show and help eachother.
    For example, I'm stuck with a website I am making and I get get it right, I can post a thread in one of the relevant boards to get others to help me.

Here's an example how it would look like:

Design
  • Graphic Design
    • Showroom
    • Tutorials
    • Resources
    • Requests
    • SOTW

Development
  • HTML & CSS
    • Showroom
    • Tutorials
    • Snippets
    • Requests

• PHP
    • Showroom
    • Tutorials
    • Snippets
    • Requests

• Java
    • Showroom
    • Tutorials
    • Snippets
    • Requests

I don't know if the following is possible, but in my opinion it's wise to make one or two people moderator of that board that have knowledge of it.
    For example 'Ruby' has PHP knowledge and I can assume if he understands PHP he can do HTML and CSS too.
    And I am not staff hunting or something like that and I won't be dissapointed if somebody else will get the position, but I have knowledge of graphic/web design, HTML, CSS and the basics of PHP. ( I can prove it with work I made, I can show the the PSD's etc )
    I know that is possible on vBulletin, but I am not sure if it's possible on SMF.

Also when we attract more designers and developers some of them could be the next RuneRevel developer right?

I hope you understand what I mean, I tried to be as detailed as posible, but if you have further question feel free to comment or shoot me a private message.

Regards,
    Trick

Ruby

• Rebel Recruit

• View Profile
Re: Forum Design/Development board
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 02:18:38 pm »
I don't generally think this is needed, I mean, a lot of our staff and developers are respected members and moderators of MoparScape, MoparScape offers a graphics design category and a website design category so you could just use that. If you post over there I'm more than likely to help you, or you could PM me here/there. I don't think boards related to programming would suit an RSPS.

Trick

• Rebel Recruit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 02:23:38 pm »
I don't generally think this is needed, I mean, a lot of our staff and developers are respected members and moderators of MoparScape, MoparScape offers a graphics design category and a website design category so you could just use that. If you post over there I'm more than likely to help you, or you could PM me here/there. I don't think boards related to programming would suit an RSPS.

that was also my thought, but what I've experienced in my previous RsPs adventure; a lot of players are intressted in it and want it to give it a try when they see work from others, even I got inspired by a designer on a RsPs. And I think it's kind of annoying to hop from forum to forum, I like it all on one place.

But it's possible that only I see the benefits from it, because I don't play in-game, but only hang on the forums and I like a forum that is sorted out.

And maybe at the begining it won't be used as much, but after a while it will. If I look at the previous RsPs I played the graphics board wasn't used much at the begining, but when more players started to join the amount of "GFX'ers" and developers grew exponentially.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 02:27:38 pm by Trick »

JT

• Rebel Commander

• Personal Text
    Always watching
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 12:00:56 am »
RuneRebels is and always will be too small to support a category like this as the people in it would be much smaller :( try joining a web community for devving! Those would be a nice place to do that.

Join world 2 today!

Ruby

• Rebel Recruit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 08:43:38 am »

that was also my thought, but what I've experienced in my previous RsPs adventure; a lot of players are intressted in it and want it to give it a try when they see work from others, even I got inspired by a designer on a RsPs. And I think it's kind of annoying to hop from forum to forum, I like it all on one place.

But it's possible that only I see the benefits from it, because I don't play in-game, but only hang on the forums and I like a forum that is sorted out.

And maybe at the begining it won't be used as much, but after a while it will. If I look at the previous RsPs I played the graphics board wasn't used much at the begining, but when more players started to join the amount of "GFX'ers" and developers grew exponentially.
The only difference is that anyone can download a cracked version of Photoshop and look up a few video tutorials, when it comes to website design it takes a lot more skill than that. It gets even harder when we get into website development and into proper programming languages, the average aged user from an RSPS is not usually mature enough to sit down with a book and read up on their chosen language, it would just be a waste of a board if I'm honest.

Trick

• Rebel Recruit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 02:23:01 pm »
Then atleast separate the image and graphic design board.

Ruby

• Rebel Recruit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 02:35:02 pm »
Then atleast separate the image and graphic design board.
There's no need for that either, graphical design and media should fall under the same generalised board.

Coordinates

• Rebel Soldier

• Personal Text
    99 Woodcutting
    • View Profile
    • Coordinates - Home
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 05:05:27 pm »
Most of those boards would be rather inactive due to the amount of people that actually deal with those subjects here.

Pure2

• Rebel Soldier

• View Profile
    • Pure2NET
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 06:09:38 pm »
Why not have any language besides Java and PHP? I feel like a board for programming, if it is created should be for all languages until we have a large amount of people actively using the board.

Stuart

• Developer
  • Rebel General

• #1 Coolest Person HURR

• Personal Text
    Thanks Omar. Its your fault.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 07:53:47 am »
Make one so we can laugh at all the incompetent people here.

DesertRain

• Donator
  • Rebel Leader

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 08:39:20 pm »
RuneRebels is and always will be too small to support a category like this as the people in it would be much smaller :( try joining a web community for devving! Those would be a nice place to do that.

I agree.  I tutor xhtml and css for a forum based website (none-game), and it takes a lot of work...a lot!  Especially when you get new folks that have no idea what basic html is, much less how to write and understand xhtml/css.

Also, you would have to write up a tutorial, which would take months.  I don't believe we have enough members interested in this kind of thing.  And there are plenty sites that deal and teach this.

I think to answer a specific question, or two, a member may have about their page(s), is one thing.
DesertRain

Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose,
Nothing don't mean nothing honey if it ain't free -- JJ