Author Topic: Gathering skill formula questions  (Read 1859 times)

Gornu

• Player Moderator
  • Rebel Captain

• Archmage of Fox Cities

• Personal Text
    World 6? Cakewalk.
    • View Profile
Gathering skill formula questions
« on: January 31, 2014, 07:55:42 pm »
Alright, to start off these questions, is there gather script checking sequential gather ticks for a successful gather, or do you just assign a random time that you do gather a resource?

Axe speeds are now a factor in gather times, are skill levels a factor in gather times?

Was there comparison done in the only official copy of the game to get correct formulas?

I'm asking these questions because with modern Runescape, with the best tools and high levels, it takes very little time to gather low level required resources with end level tools.  Like iron, tin, copper, and clay, at level 70 mining and a rune pickaxe, there are no times you mine them taking 7 seconds for an ore.  Cutting evergreens with a rune axe and level 60 woodcutting doesn't take 5 seconds to chop down.  I'm pretty sure the formulas Jagex uses in skill gathering programming never really changed, from 07 to modern

|-|-|-|-|-|
|-|-|-|-|-|
|-|-|-|-|-|
|-|-|-|-|-|
Copy and paste this to add Waffles in RuneRebels! We have Chocolate, and Beer, why not

Austin

• Community Manager
  • Rebel Captain

• Has a nice view of your bedroom

• View Profile
Re: Gathering skill formula questions
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 07:59:55 pm »
ATM it works like this. You have a higher skill level you have less of a chance to get a LONG pick time. Let's say you equip a better pickaxe. That chance is then decrease again. But you will never have a default little pick time. It randomizes the length of how long you are mining that ore but what leveling up and equipping better picks does, is it decreases that chance for a long pick time. I'm not to sure if it's correct or not but that is how it works as of now.

Gornu

• Player Moderator
  • Rebel Captain

• Archmage of Fox Cities

• Personal Text
    World 6? Cakewalk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 08:19:49 pm »
The original formula from classic was continual checks to see if you get ore, if it was in the rock.  Later you could actually see the ore, but there was script for checking for getting ore more than once after metal pickaxes came along which allowed the player to have the game check sequentially.  After RS2 came out, you mined until you got the ore and pickaxes were then an added bonus to be able to hit a successful ore gather.  Fishing worked along those lines and so did woodcutting, except fishing never had equipment for multiple catching until RS2 allowed someone to fish until either they were full or the spot moved.  I don't think the formula went from these gather checks to be given a time to gather, programmers reuse program script; the checks probably were made invisible.  Adamantite ore, and runite, are some of the more painful ores to mine, sometimes taking 15 to 25 seconds to mine right at their respective levels, not because you are usually given a long time to be able to mine, it is because the programming makes it hard to hit a successful gather in the script.

There is more than formula in gathering, there's script, too.  Iron mining was popular in 06 and beyond, because the programming at level 60 up with a rune pickaxe made most every mining swing an instant gather, not "oh, sorry, you hit a long mine attempt"

|-|-|-|-|-|
|-|-|-|-|-|
|-|-|-|-|-|
|-|-|-|-|-|
Copy and paste this to add Waffles in RuneRebels! We have Chocolate, and Beer, why not

Austin

• Community Manager
  • Rebel Captain

• Has a nice view of your bedroom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 08:50:50 pm »
The original formula from classic was continual checks to see if you get ore, if it was in the rock.  Later you could actually see the ore, but there was script for checking for getting ore more than once after metal pickaxes came along which allowed the player to have the game check sequentially.  After RS2 came out, you mined until you got the ore and pickaxes were then an added bonus to be able to hit a successful ore gather.  Fishing worked along those lines and so did woodcutting, except fishing never had equipment for multiple catching until RS2 allowed someone to fish until either they were full or the spot moved.  I don't think the formula went from these gather checks to be given a time to gather, programmers reuse program script; the checks probably were made invisible.  Adamantite ore, and runite, are some of the more painful ores to mine, sometimes taking 15 to 25 seconds to mine right at their respective levels, not because you are usually given a long time to be able to mine, it is because the programming makes it hard to hit a successful gather in the script.

There is more than formula in gathering, there's script, too.  Iron mining was popular in 06 and beyond, because the programming at level 60 up with a rune pickaxe made most every mining swing an instant gather, not "oh, sorry, you hit a long mine attempt"
Yeah I agree, I do think we need to have a re-look at the mining script. I know that Ryan coded this in his earlier years of java programming so it is all that much more possible that he could have just coded it wrong :)