Author Topic: Hello... again  (Read 3992 times)

Olivia020

• Donator
  • Rebel Soldier

• View Profile
Hello... again
« on: November 30, 2013, 12:27:53 pm »
Hi there,

Olivia aka Spookiepie here.

As some of you may know, I was a quest developer in the process of making Dragon Slayer for RuneRebels. Working daily to help try to get it done and I was very close to be getting that done. However when issues came up I was removed from the quest team without knowledge of it ever happening.

JT has came back to the team over the process and has asked me personally if I want to come back as a quest developer.

Now i'm considering re-applying to the position but still looking into some feedback and hopefully some changes to make the quest making process.... easier. Hopefully a talk with ryan and maybe the community team itself would help solve things quicker.

As some of you may know I have offered giving the dragon slayer that was mostly coded to give back to have someone finish it and look over it when I was demoted. Unfortunately no one took it. The bad news is, ALL of it is gone on my end because of a new operating system.

So what I plan on doing IF i come back is the first thing I will do, is pick off where I left off and REMAKE dragon slayer from start to finish.

However here is where you can come in.

I'm hoping to see if ryan will come to an agreement to make a way to where quest developers can have their own test servers to compile and test from to build and test as they go along instead of building all of the quests, and NONE of it working and not knowing where the error is.

I'm hoping there can be an agreement from ryan having some sort of a contract of some sort to where quest developers can NOT transfer, release, or use the server to make their own servers, excluding test servers for rune rebels specifically. This means we could have our own test servers individually and code the quests as we go along. This would make quests MUCH easier and we will NOT have to wait for ryan to get to us and have to wait the process of waitting on ryan to do anything. Dragon slayer was on a Hold still for the longest time because of no contact with ryan which means I could NOT go on.

So with this, maybe you can put your input and ideas to help provide something to make this "happen", Good luck, and Hopefully I'll be back on the team if all is decided on what I want to do on my own personal thought.

Prayer

• Player Moderator
  • Rebel General

• View Profile
Re: Hello... again
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 12:32:13 pm »
Best of luck to what you're trying to accomplish, & welcome back!

N0vapur3

• Rebel Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 02:49:36 pm »
The devs already plan on working with the current quest tools so quest developers can test their quests.

Hi tho

James

• Developer
  • Rebel Captain

• Sean is my son

• Personal Text
    The RR Grandpa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 03:41:09 pm »
Unfortunately it isn't as easy as just 'giving a copy of the server.' The server is not ran like a typical server. It uses a bunch of different plug ins instead of typical class files. There is no 'run.bat'. You would also need a local copy of the login server, and another seperate database to fill in with content.

Unfortunately, we will not be doing that anytime soon.

Welcome back, though!!!
Hi, I'm James. I'm old as hell.

I need to Java again, lol

Austin

• Community Manager
  • Rebel Captain

• Has a nice view of your bedroom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 04:23:38 pm »
Yeah James said it's not possible, but welcome back! When I heard you were doing dragon slayer I was so excited and then I was bummed out because you never got to finish it :(

Olivia020

• Donator
  • Rebel Soldier

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 05:45:47 pm »
Unfortunately it isn't as easy as just 'giving a copy of the server.' The server is not ran like a typical server. It uses a bunch of different plug ins instead of typical class files. There is no 'run.bat'. You would also need a local copy of the login server, and another seperate database to fill in with content.

Welcome back, though!!!

1. You dont need a run.bat to run the server (thats what IDE's are for)
2. I've worked with the quest tools before. I think that would be the only tool i'd be needing.
3. Whatever I dont understand, JT can walk me through to help me understand it more like I did before hand.

Kevin

• Veteran
  • Rebel Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 05:53:24 pm »

Prayer

• Player Moderator
  • Rebel General

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 05:59:21 pm »

Welcome back, though!!!

2. I've worked with the quest tools before. I think that would be the only tool i'd be needing.
3. Whatever I dont understand, JT can walk me through to help me understand it more like I did before hand.

Quoted when someone else recently wanted to be a quest dev

Ultimately it is up to JT and myself whether or not we seek out more quest developers.

At the current rate of development, we are far surpassing our original goal for the quests to be released, so unfortunately we are not seeking any more at this time

edit: kevin, why did you post a giant black olive? o:

Olivia020

• Donator
  • Rebel Soldier

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 06:24:49 pm »

Welcome back, though!!!

Ultimately it is up to JT and myself whether or not we seek out more quest developers.

At the current rate of development, we are far surpassing our original goal for the quests to be released, so unfortunately we are not seeking any more at this time

JT already asked me to come back as a quest developer. He is just waiting for me to say yes or no.

Prayer

• Player Moderator
  • Rebel General

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 06:25:36 pm »

Welcome back, though!!!

JT already asked me to come back as a quest developer. He is just waiting for me to say yes or no.

then I wish you to say yes so we may have more quests :)

N0vapur3

• Rebel Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 06:28:19 pm »

Welcome back, though!!!

Perhaps because the persons username is Olivia020. But olive you guys alone.

Prayer

• Player Moderator
  • Rebel General

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 07:00:57 pm »

Welcome back, though!!!

Perhaps because the persons username is Olivia020. But olive you guys alone.

ha that didn't even cross my mind, and what a pun :p

on topic: yeah Olivia you should say yes

James

• Developer
  • Rebel Captain

• Sean is my son

• Personal Text
    The RR Grandpa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 12:14:31 am »

Welcome back, though!!!

#1. Yes, you are right. There are IDEs for a reason, BUT: to even log in to the server there is loads of checks that it does. It checks to make sure your account is registered to the forums and it also checks to make sure that it is connecting to a log-in server. You would need not only a copy of the source code itself, but also a copy of our log in server and our modded smf forums.

#2. The quest editor is a very easy way of us being able to do this. With the quests, Ryan takes them and converts them to seperate plug ins, as well as coding the specific items/objects/npcs for dialogue animations and etc. Ryan is working with Kevin Jt and myself closely on what we need for the quest editor, AND we will be adding a seperate developing world specifically for quests.

#3. Unfortunately, nobody has done the deep coding to blitz that Ryan has, so really only Ryan will completely understand it.

I would also like to add that the blitz engine is essentially Ryan's baby. He has been working on it for years. It is not something that he wants to just hand out. And you can't really enforce a contract on copywrited material.
Hi, I'm James. I'm old as hell.

I need to Java again, lol

JT

• Rebel Commander

• Personal Text
    Always watching
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 04:44:47 pm »
I'm gonna go ahead and lock this topic - as there is plans to build an infrastructure that combines the best of both worlds and has already been discussed with the parties in question. No need for this public sideshow :)

Join world 2 today!