Author Topic: My opinion  (Read 4079 times)

Muse

• Rebel Leader

• kastom titel?

• Personal Text
    If Vatican then I can too.
    • View Profile
My opinion
« on: March 30, 2017, 09:58:53 am »
Hello, I've been watching the forums for some time and came to a conclusion that there are new players coming and making accs (you can always see someone making  new account on the bottom of the RR Index page) but we don't see them in game! (ofc, I am aware some of them may be adv bots or other stuff)

Then I asked myself why and figured out that accessing the server may be a bit tricky for newcomers and that is because:

1.When you're on the front page and click Play Now it redirects you to page where you can choose between Worldscape and RR server, when you click on Runerebels nothing happens as you know, that should be fixed.

2.There is no visible place where you can download a working webclient, someone should update it and put it in the right place, maybe Play Now section?

buttplug

• Community Member
  • Rebel Captain

• Personal Text
    Omar
    • View Profile
Re: My opinion
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 02:10:05 pm »
100% this

Thehate

• Donator
  • Rebel Recruit

• God Of Bacon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 08:19:12 pm »
Indeed, a webclient would be good for people to use again, however I believe it stopped working due to Java fixing a security exploit or a patch that stopped RR & WS being able to use webclients... Also didn't the likes of Google Chrome drop support for Java applets?

buttplug

• Community Member
  • Rebel Captain

• Personal Text
    Omar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 11:19:47 pm »
Indeed, a webclient would be good for people to use again, however I believe it stopped working due to Java fixing a security exploit or a patch that stopped RR & WS being able to use webclients... Also didn't the likes of Google Chrome drop support for Java applets?

The overall point is we need to make the downloadable client much more pronounced seeing as its pretty much our only option for new users at this point. Currently you go to click the "World 1" page and are met with nothing but blank screens and confusion. Basically you go to play Rune Rebels for the first time and nothing happens, and unless you go digging through the forums you are left completely in the dark.

Dev Seth

• Developer (ingame)
  • Rebel Recruit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 06:06:56 pm »

Good afternoon Muse, Buttplug, and Thehate,

Unfortunately this is true, webclients no longer work hence the reason why OSRS now requires you to play on a downloaded client.

Ryan will be looking into streamlining the process of logging into the server making it easier for new players to join in-game. This has been in the plans for some time and is documented for a future update that will bring advertisements for the server as well.

We'll likely see this update after the team has got more developer tools under their belt to use and a bit more content for you guys to play. The team doesn't want old and new players to join into broken content or join back to find the same content limits that they quit at.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 08:20:35 pm by Dev Seth »

Muse

• Rebel Leader

• kastom titel?

• Personal Text
    If Vatican then I can too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 07:24:26 pm »
Oh, ok then ^^ I was worried that we probably lost many potential players because of the issue but maybe you're right Sean, patience is never a bad thing!

Thehate

• Donator
  • Rebel Recruit

• God Of Bacon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 11:54:10 pm »
Thanks for the clarification... These "developer tools" seem rather fancy :o. I look forward to more updates! :D

Dev Seth

• Developer (ingame)
  • Rebel Recruit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 01:51:57 am »
Thanks for the clarification... These "developer tools" seem rather fancy :o. I look forward to more updates! :D

The developer tools are quite fancy but complicated with each specific action they need to perform. However, Ryan creates a simple to use User Interface which makes editing changes ridiculously easy!

This allows other users who aren't Ryan, the host and owner of the source code, to modify and manipulate certain things within the code, even when we're hundreds if not thousands of miles away from each other.

The idea of it is quite amazing  ;D

Also, we appreciate you sharing this as it's great for us to receive feedback from the community. I hope to see more suggestions in the future! Some of the ideas you folks come up with are fantastic so don't be bashful. If it's already on a to-do list, there is no shame in clarifying.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 02:02:38 am by Dev Seth »

Ry60003333

• Owner & Operator
  • Rebel Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 04:52:43 pm »
I definitely agree that we want to lower the barrier of entry to getting the game client up and running on player's computers, as I believe that would attract more people to the game.

I would like to do a revamp of the current client download page, along with the play now page and world select. In addition, I want to make cache downloading much faster and also display some kind of progress, so that people don't think the client is stuck and then close it. ;)