Author Topic: Quests and related Gear  (Read 14021 times)

Stuart

• Developer
  • Rebel General

• #1 Coolest Person HURR

• Personal Text
    Thanks Omar. Its your fault.
    • View Profile
Re: Quests and related Gear
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 07:03:53 pm »
Yes, unfortunately we have other projects going on and are not currently looking for developers. When it comes to implementing items without quests, we've researched and polled it before, and it's always turned out the same.

So, you prefer to leave items UN-obtainable or UN-useable until you get the relevant quests/bosses working, while you are working on an entirely different project...

Would of hoped you would want to revive the rebels server, but alas no avail.

So, what you are wanting is for us to just spawn everyone whips, dragon weapons, and the like? Because really with the way the plugins are laid out, that'd be the only way to release them without programming the rest of the NPCs, bosses, and quests. Even then, they wouldn't be weildable. I'm not saying that RR won't be revived sometime in the future, but with all of us working on other things on top of balancing life, it's on the back burner for now.

When it comes to the other project I can't give specifics. I can say though that it is not an RSPS.

What? hahaha. Where did I say spawn the items??
Changing drops of a monster, and making the drop rate low. Isn't hard. There are .exe tools that can do it for you....
At least for just a band-aid fix until you guys start working on the server again. 
There are a lot of items that don't need quests to be completed to actually wear. Only need quest to get, or a boss. (I'm sure u know which ones need, and which ones that don't need quests to actually wear.)

"Putting drops onto another monster would make it too easy for players to get it."
Not if you either, take a monster that has very few numbers like imps and make the drop rate very low. Barely get to kill the monster, and low drop rate. Or put it onto a monster that you can't kill at all early like a slayer monster.
There are a lot of different ways you can do it.
This server isn't setup like others you may be thinking of. The drop system, and all other systems are edited through databases through the website and through Ryan. Not even I know how it all works, just the infraction and logs part of it all.

But at that, like they said even if they add the drops, they need to remove the requirements for the items which isn't exactly pure plugin or database related. A lot of the items have requirements set through the code itself which means Ryan (the master at not being here when we need him) can do.

sunshine721

• Rebel Recruit

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 03:38:07 am »
This server isn't setup like others you may be thinking of. The drop system, and all other systems are edited through databases through the website and through Ryan. Not even I know how it all works, just the infraction and logs part of it all.

But at that, like they said even if they add the drops, they need to remove the requirements for the items which isn't exactly pure plugin or database related. A lot of the items have requirements set through the code itself which means Ryan (the master at not being here when we need him) can do.

1. Not a lot of them have requirements other then levels. About 8 of the 20-30 missing late game items need quests.
2. If they can, you can set quest finished in character saves or on the default character settings. Which I'm sure that, and all the other changes are do-able or what is the point at all in their "server setup"? lol
3. It's more the lack of development/time put into the server at the moment that is the issue. Like they said, they ain't even working on this server at all at the moment. They are working on an entirely different thing, which just gives the sense of lack of motivation to even work on this server, which in turn makes for no changes/fix's, which in turn leads to people leaving.

Slangin

• Supporter
  • Rebel Leader

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2015, 08:45:52 am »
Not to be an ass kiss but when they did update things, most of the community whined at the bugs or the incompleteness.

But like Riipiin said, Ryan is the only one who can make the majority of changes regardless of how simple they may seem, and Ryan has an awful case of saying he will do things then disappearing. This has proved frustrating (and has been the result of multiple staff resignations) to us all. If you dig through the forums you will see this for yourself, but
3. It's more the lack of development/time put into the server at the moment that is the issue.
you seem to know that already.

sunshine721

• Rebel Recruit

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2015, 01:19:43 pm »
Not to be an ass kiss but when they did update things, most of the community whined at the bugs or the incompleteness.

But like Riipiin said, Ryan is the only one who can make the majority of changes regardless of how simple they may seem, and Ryan has an awful case of saying he will do things then disappearing. This has proved frustrating (and has been the result of multiple staff resignations) to us all. If you dig through the forums you will see this for yourself, but
3. It's more the lack of development/time put into the server at the moment that is the issue.

No matter what is done, there will always be people who don't like changes/updates made. That is a part of running any sort of service.
And if Ryan can't handle that he should of never started a server. Which brings me to my point, if he wanted to revive this "project" he could of done so ages ago but because he hasn't the community is dead.
And promises of it being revived just come across with no meaning because of the lack of attention the server has gotten.

The first thing I got told when I started here was "There hasn't been an update in 2 years" which, true or not, is sad that a player would feel the need to mention that to a new player.

I think most of you believe I am "having a go" at the server/owners. Don't take what I'm saying the wrong way. I love the idea this server holds, I'm just saying it needs more work and I don't believe it really will get revived to much of a point when the owners themselves, like you said Slangin, say they will fix/revive it but then are nowhere to be seen.

My point is, this server could go a LONG WAY and easily have a huge flow of players once the main things are fixed OR a temp compromise is made. Why do I think that? Well, firstly don't have to pay for members so there is a lot more you can do without having to spend money. Second, leveling is obviously quicker then osrs but not so fast that its too quick/easy to get maxed.

Slayer

• Veteran
  • Rebel Captain

• HEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEY

• Personal Text
    Namechange Sento -> Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 03:42:10 pm »

No matter what is done, there will always be people who don't like changes/updates made. That is a part of running any sort of service.
And if Ryan can't handle that he should of never started a server. Which brings me to my point, if he wanted to revive this "project" he could of done so ages ago but because he hasn't the community is dead.
And promises of it being revived just come across with no meaning because of the lack of attention the server has gotten.

The first thing I got told when I started here was "There hasn't been an update in 2 years" which, true or not, is sad that a player would feel the need to mention that to a new player.

I think most of you believe I am "having a go" at the server/owners. Don't take what I'm saying the wrong way. I love the idea this server holds, I'm just saying it needs more work and I don't believe it really will get revived to much of a point when the owners themselves, like you said Slangin, say they will fix/revive it but then are nowhere to be seen.

My point is, this server could go a LONG WAY and easily have a huge flow of players once the main things are fixed OR a temp compromise is made. Why do I think that? Well, firstly don't have to pay for members so there is a lot more you can do without having to spend money. Second, leveling is obviously quicker then osrs but not so fast that its too quick/easy to get maxed.
It's always been like this, nothing is going to change the fact that its doomed to be dead, just go through these posts. Every now and then  someone new joins, tells everyone the obvious and within a few months that same guy is no where to be found. Rr has had it's glory a long time ago, just check the playernumbers, 19k isnt nothing

edub

• Veteran
  • Rebel General

• "Heroes will always be remembered, but legends never die."

• Personal Text
    #1 in Mining (99) & Smithing (99)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2015, 11:54:29 am »

It's always been like this, nothing is going to change the fact that its doomed to be dead, just go through these posts. Every now and then  someone new joins, tells everyone the obvious and within a few months that same guy is no where to be found. Rr has had it's glory a long time ago, just check the playernumbers, 19k isnt nothing

We certainly had our glory days after ProjectRS06 shut down and right before oldschool runescape was released but that doesn't mean we can't have those days again. At the same time though its hard for people to want to join a server that isn't really supported anymore, maybe that aspect will change at some point but until then were kind of stuck in "limbo" since the glory days because of a decline in playerbase plus a lack of updates.

James

• Developer
  • Rebel Captain

• Sean is my son

• Personal Text
    The RR Grandpa
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2015, 01:27:56 pm »
Actually, it's not as easy going into the character logs and typing true on a quest definition. The way our quests are set up are in steps, so different quests may have 5-7 steps. We would have to go into each character file (since they're set up in a database, not .txt files like you see in most sources you download) and "complete" each step for the quests that are required.

That's just not something we can do at this moment. The project will more than likely be revived at some point, but with other things going on and Ryan being busy with college, Kevin with his promotion, and me just overall being busy, it's just not possible at this time.
Hi, I'm James. I'm old as hell.

I need to Java again, lol

sunshine721

• Rebel Recruit

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2015, 05:31:35 am »
Actually, it's not as easy going into the character logs and typing true on a quest definition. The way our quests are set up are in steps, so different quests may have 5-7 steps. We would have to go into each character file (since they're set up in a database, not .txt files like you see in most sources you download) and "complete" each step for the quests that are required.

That's just not something we can do at this moment. The project will more than likely be revived at some point, but with other things going on and Ryan being busy with college, Kevin with his promotion, and me just overall being busy, it's just not possible at this time.

If its flags in a database, be is mysql or mssql, that's just as easy as a .txt lol.
I doubt it could be harder then reverse engineering a md5, then random hexdecimal values to get a item id, magic enchants, sockets etc etc in a dekaron database.

And the fact that you guys are apparently "working on another project" you clearly have at least some spare time to be working on something, but you guys have chosen to work on something completely different. I just hope its not a server for some other game or anything because it will more then likely have the same issue eventually since there is clearly no "balance" or "enthusiasm" in either of your lives to continue with this project. Be it cuz it has died, or old that's irreverent and besides the point.

I'm not going to bother trying to get you guys to work on this server, since that will just not happen. Good luck in your endeavors.

edub

• Veteran
  • Rebel General

• "Heroes will always be remembered, but legends never die."

• Personal Text
    #1 in Mining (99) & Smithing (99)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2015, 12:45:43 pm »

If its flags in a database, be is mysql or mssql, that's just as easy as a .txt lol.
I doubt it could be harder then reverse engineering a md5, then random hexdecimal values to get a item id, magic enchants, sockets etc etc in a dekaron database.

And the fact that you guys are apparently "working on another project" you clearly have at least some spare time to be working on something, but you guys have chosen to work on something completely different. I just hope its not a server for some other game or anything because it will more then likely have the same issue eventually since there is clearly no "balance" or "enthusiasm" in either of your lives to continue with this project. Be it cuz it has died, or old that's irreverent and besides the point.

I'm not going to bother trying to get you guys to work on this server, since that will just not happen. Good luck in your endeavors.

Everyone has there own lives outside of runerebels. The devs clearly work on this when they have free time or not much else going on. This is a 3 year+ project in the making so of course there's going to be periods where work is being done and periods where work isn't being done, that's just how things are. As I full time college student with a part time job and a full time job when I am off school I understand. I struggle to make time for runerebels as well. Between exams, hw, my girlfriend and other things it's hard to find time to play honestly. If they don't to work on the server right now that's there decision and while some may not like it, I can at least respect it because I am the same way with being busy with things. If runerebels has proved one thing it is that it will be around for a long time.

Stuart

• Developer
  • Rebel General

• #1 Coolest Person HURR

• Personal Text
    Thanks Omar. Its your fault.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2015, 03:11:24 pm »

It really isn't as easy as editing a .txt file. SQL, even with the proper setup which makes editing SQL easier, is still tedious to edit.

The project will hopefully be revived. And no, their new project is not another server, in fact its something much more than that. I do know, but am not allowed to tell you all. It should help with funding RuneRebels and AGF in general.

sunshine721

• Rebel Recruit

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2015, 01:01:56 am »
Everyone has there own lives outside of runerebels. The devs clearly work on this when they have free time or not much else going on. This is a 3 year+ project in the making so of course there's going to be periods where work is being done and periods where work isn't being done, that's just how things are. As I full time college student with a part time job and a full time job when I am off school I understand. I struggle to make time for runerebels as well. Between exams, hw, my girlfriend and other things it's hard to find time to play honestly. If they don't to work on the server right now that's there decision and while some may not like it, I can at least respect it because I am the same way with being busy with things. If runerebels has proved one thing it is that it will be around for a long time.

No, they don't work on this when they got spare time. Like they have said in this thread alone several times, it is on the back burner as they are working on a completely different project that isn't related to RR at all. And i can respect it too, my point is there is no effort given to work on it themselves, or find someone that can in the mean time.

It really isn't as easy as editing a .txt file. SQL, even with the proper setup which makes editing SQL easier, is still tedious to edit.

The project will hopefully be revived. And no, their new project is not another server, in fact its something much more than that. I do know, but am not allowed to tell you all. It should help with funding RuneRebels and AGF in general.

Editing a sql database is easy actually... if you know how to write a querry lol.
And yea, hopefully it will be.

James

• Developer
  • Rebel Captain

• Sean is my son

• Personal Text
    The RR Grandpa
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2015, 02:22:43 am »

No, they don't work on this when they got spare time. Like they have said in this thread alone several times, it is on the back burner as they are working on a completely different project that isn't related to RR at all. And i can respect it too, my point is there is no effort given to work on it themselves, or find someone that can in the mean time.

Editing a sql database is easy actually... if you know how to write a querry lol.
And yea, hopefully it will be.

Why would we let some random dick weed that we don't know mess around with source code we've worked on for over 7 years? The project is on hold, mainly due to funding and lack of time for development. We're attempting to fix the first one with other projects, that way we have money and time to work on our older projects like Runerebels and worldscape.

And you're right, it's not hard to run a mysql query. But you do realize that we would have to search and replace the steps for each quest (the majority of which are not completed) to enable items that aren't obtainable and won't be obtainable unless we add them to NPCS that don't normally drop them.

In my opinion, I think you're looking for a different type of private server. This one might not be for you, and that's okay. We want to keep it as close to a remake as possible, so no, your suggestion won't be implemented.
Hi, I'm James. I'm old as hell.

I need to Java again, lol

Prayer

• Player Moderator
  • Rebel General

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2015, 04:41:04 am »
not to be a burden ._. but like we do have skill capes, and like no easter bunny emote now because of it ;/  and omg it's easter today
besides that it would be lovely if you can make the berserker helms (med helms are ugly) wearable, like temporary at least lol.

think of it as ::yell, it has advantages, but then again it's only temporary.
...then again poising a dagger (1231) can be worn without a quest so umm

Wirt

• Player Moderator
  • Rebel Commander

• Personal Text
    -psst- over here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2015, 09:50:39 am »
Just leave everything as it is.. The server will have some work done on it as time goes on. Those who are loyal to rr and play it because it's their runescape will stay.. Those who hate the limitations and can't stand that there will be any acceptions have the free will to find another game to play. Nobody is obligated to work on the server..

Brownay

• Rebel Soldier

• Personal Text
    Phr33 st0f PL0X.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2015, 10:06:46 am »
not to be a burden ._. but like we do have skill capes, and like no easter bunny emote now because of it ;/  and omg it's easter today
besides that it would be lovely if you can make the berserker helms (med helms are ugly) wearable, like temporary at least lol.

think of it as ::yell, it has advantages, but then again it's only temporary.
...then again poising a dagger (1231) can be worn without a quest so umm

That did upset me, having one of my favorite emotes replaced because of the skillcape update, which I was upset about aswell, but as long as the UI isn't updated I guess it's worth not touching... if that's how it has to be. No bunny hop. Dx

Seriously, never change the UI. I would be heartbroken.