Author Topic: Hosting  (Read 2038 times)

Recoil

• Rebel Leader

• Power Absolute

• Personal Text
    Surprise, bitch!
    • View Profile
    • My Development Projects
Hosting
« on: March 14, 2014, 12:26:00 am »
I really was serious about implementing google cloud platform as a way to run the VPS. It's has non-relational/noSQL infrastructure so basically you could have every user that connects to the database connect to a different piece of hardware on Google Cloud, allowing it to withhold ultimately an unlimited amount of users (obviously would have to be multiple worlds after 2000 connections at one time) but Google data centers is probably the most stable option on the planet.

James or Ryan, you would have to change how user data is fetched and whatnot, I assume you already use mySQL for that (I assume this because you did when Aaron made the MySQL injection lol) so you would have to change how that is done in order to correctly integrate it into their App Engine. That way you'd have unlimited capabilities, scaling, and all that neat bullshit that Google will handle for you while you worry about content and community management stuff. I'm sure one of you is smart enough to comprehend what it means more than me to be able to do it.

Anyways, I know you guys have been having hosting issues and I've been nothing but an asshole here so I thought I'd throw in a productive suggestion.

Cheshire Cat

• Veteran
  • Rebel Captain

• Personal Text
    Away for personal reasons.
    • View Profile
Re: Hosting
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 12:33:45 am »
I really was serious about implementing google cloud platform as a way to run the VPS. It's has non-relational/noSQL infrastructure so basically you could have every user that connects to the database connect to a different piece of hardware on Google Cloud, allowing it to withhold ultimately an unlimited amount of users (obviously would have to be multiple worlds after 2000 connections at one time) but Google data centers is probably the most stable option on the planet.

James or Ryan, you would have to change how user data is fetched and whatnot, I assume you already use mySQL for that (I assume this because you did when Aaron made the MySQL injection lol) so you would have to change how that is done in order to correctly integrate it into their App Engine. That way you'd have unlimited capabilities, scaling, and all that neat bullshit that Google will handle for you while you worry about content and community management stuff. I'm sure one of you is smart enough to comprehend what it means more than me to be able to do it.

Anyways, I know you guys have been having hosting issues and I've been nothing but an asshole here so I thought I'd throw in a productive suggestion.
Doing the math with what we're currently hosted on it would cost $493 a month to host on Google compare to our like... $40 a month, and that's not including DDoS protection which is the major cost for most hosting. RuneScape servers take very, very little power and bandwidth.

https://cloud.google.com/products/compute-engine/
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 12:37:06 am by Cheshire Cat »

James

• Developer
  • Rebel Captain

• Sean is my son

• Personal Text
    The RR Grandpa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 12:36:26 am »

Doing the math with what we're currently hosted on it would cost $493 a month to host on Google compare to our like... $40 a month, and that's not including DDoS protection which is the major cost for most hosting. RuneScape servers take very, very little power and bandwidth.

This.

I looked into it and the lowest we could get to make it work was around $425/month.

With our budget it's completely unaffordable :-\

It's a good idea though.
Hi, I'm James. I'm old as hell.

I need to Java again, lol

Recoil

• Rebel Leader

• Power Absolute

• Personal Text
    Surprise, bitch!
    • View Profile
    • My Development Projects
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 12:55:18 am »

Umm you mind showing your math on that lol? I doubt the source is actually >1.8 GB, which means you could go with a high CPU plan for the RAM that would shave the cost. Because unless Runerebels needs a 16-core CPU to run properly, our numbers aren't adding up the same.

Galleta

• Community Member
  • Rebel Commander

• El español

• Personal Text
    Galletitas con leche, yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 09:33:33 am »
Potatoe is da answer