Author Topic: Old-School FPS Games  (Read 8250 times)

Pinkamena

• Rebel Leader

• JT's Future Wife!

• View Profile
Old-School FPS Games
« on: February 04, 2013, 01:33:08 pm »
I'm wondering how many of you guys are fans of true old-school shooters. I know that I can't be the only person that is sick of these modernized rail shooters that hold your hand the entire way. I miss the old fast paced chaotic fun of classic shooters, I miss speed running maps, I miss hunting for keys, I miss secret hunting, I miss rocket jumping (quake), I miss actually being worried about dying when on low health instead of hiding behind something like a pansy as my health regenerates, I miss the fact you can play through the levels however you want!

Today games only care about graphics and being enjoyable to casuals this tends to result in so-so game-play and easy difficulty. I myself am still an avid Doom player, I have been part of the online Doom community for years and always will be until it's completely dead. I've made a couple mods and maps for Doom one of which actually had a video posted on a gaming site, and one of my maps has been used for a 1on1 tournament! How many of you guys here are fans that actually still play these old-school FPS games from the 90's and which is your favorite?

Played or still play any of these games?:
Wolfenstien 3D
Doom 1 & 2
Rise of the Triad
Heretic
Hexen
Duke Nukem 3D
Shadow Warrior
Blood
Quake

If you are an old-school FPS lover I'm also wondering if you have seen that Rise of the Triad is being re-done.  :)
CHECK OUT MAH AWESOME DOOM MOD! - Hard Doom

James

• Developer
  • Rebel Captain

• Sean is my son

• Personal Text
    The RR Grandpa
    • View Profile
Re: Old-School FPS Games
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 02:07:08 pm »
Wolfenstien 3D

I was a BAWS at that game!
Hi, I'm James. I'm old as hell.

I need to Java again, lol

Jrub

• Rebel Captain

• Personal Text
    Praise ms
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 03:58:46 am »
Does Halo CE count?  :o :o

Pinkamena

• Rebel Leader

• JT's Future Wife!

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 12:30:10 pm »
Nope its a 2001 shooter that plays nothing like OS shooters. In Halo you run like 1MPH and have regenerating shields, and for the most part it's pretty easy (even on legendary). Multiplayer in Halo is also crap and always has been crap just due to how slowly you move and the openness of some of the maps. Though I do like the first Halo for it's single-player, though the library part was just boring copy paste and repetitive play through the entire thing. It's also the only Halo game worth playing IMO as long as you avoid the multiplayer.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 12:32:53 pm by Pinkamena »

Francis

• Veteran
  • Rebel Commander

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 02:54:05 pm »
Quake, childhood favourite. 8) Also, do the old Half-Life series count? Half-Life is my favourite game of all time, I've beaten every single one of them over 10 times. The reason I brought that up is because Half-Life runs the Quake engine.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 02:56:49 pm by Francis »
Made in Photoshop by me.

Chris

• Donator
  • Rebel Leader

• Personal Text
    Member since June 27, 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 05:24:28 pm »
I still enjoy quiet a few of the old fps games.

Wolfenstien 3D (Haven't played in a LONG time.)

Doom 1 & 2

Duke Nukem 3D

Quake (Still own this on the 64.)

Counter Strike 1.6

Call Of Duty (The first CoD for pc, because that's where the series originated.)
http://i.imgur.com/jzpeK2K.jpg

Jrub

• Rebel Captain

• Personal Text
    Praise ms
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 07:56:24 pm »
Nope its a 2001 shooter that plays nothing like OS shooters. In Halo you run like 1MPH and have regenerating shields, and for the most part it's pretty easy (even on legendary). Multiplayer in Halo is also crap and always has been crap just due to how slowly you move and the openness of some of the maps. Though I do like the first Halo for it's single-player, though the library part was just boring copy paste and repetitive play through the entire thing. It's also the only Halo game worth playing IMO as long as you avoid the multiplayer.
YOU TAKE THAT BACK

Gaystings

• Rebel Leader

• Personal Text
    Currently not playing the game, just on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 01:48:33 pm »
I played Wolfenstein and Doom a little bit, but only on pc  :P

Stuart

• Developer
  • Rebel General

• #1 Coolest Person HURR

• Personal Text
    Thanks Omar. Its your fault.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 03:21:46 pm »
YOU TAKE THAT BACK
Halo multiplayer definitely was never bad. It was revolutionary. Xbox 360 wouldn't be what it is today without Halo 2 which was an xbox opening game. If you think the multiplayer is slow, i suggest playing it again. Compared to COD which is just spamming automatic weapons, halo 4 takes skill with taking down shields, etc. Halo 4 has the most fast paste multiplayer I've ever seen.

Pinkamena

• Rebel Leader

• JT's Future Wife!

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 05:25:49 pm »
COD has been trash since 4..... they just milk the series more and more every year. The only thing that changes between games is perks, maps, and a couple weapons. Halo multiplayer IMO doesn't take skill it's too easy to hit slow moving targets with snipers and the likes. If you want to see fast paced multiplayer.... try Doom, Quake 1-4, Unreal Tournament 1-3, Nexuiz (this game is meh IMO but still kinda fast paced). Games these days are becoming a joke we need more "twitch shooters" as some people call them where it's all about movement, reaction time, and item/map control... try to camp at all and you get facerolled. ;D

Stuart

• Developer
  • Rebel General

• #1 Coolest Person HURR

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 05:32:13 pm »
All halo multiplayers take skill if you know how to serve it to the person who is after you.

HappyguyForum

• Rebel General

• Personal Text
    Don't ever play leapfrog with a Unicorn...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 05:34:48 pm »
In halo 4, try kiling using only assasinations, now that is some hard shit lol...
Selling sets of armor bronze-mith. message me in game for the prices if interested :P -happyguy3216

Pinkamena

• Rebel Leader

• JT's Future Wife!

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 05:41:08 pm »
All halo multiplayers take skill if you know how to serve it to the person who is after you.
Then explain how me.... a person that DOESN'T play consoles only PC managed to beat 20+ people in a row on campus that ONLY play console games. Halo feels like a baby game compared to fast paced twitch shooters... just too easy to rack up kills due to it being far too easy to hit targets especially with headshots.

Edit: I'll just leave this here...... A video of a true fast paced game (possibly the fastest made) that relies PURELY on skill (if you can't play with insane sensitivity, land 180 degree swing-shots, react in a split second to counter/frag/juke a enemy you will always fail). Also don't even attempt to say it sucks because of its graphics..... you play Runescape and Doom looked far better for it's time than Runescape did (Doom was best looking FPS game for its time). Also Doom is still played online by thousands of people everyday and its from 1993.  8)

« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 06:30:16 pm by Pinkamena »

Stuart

• Developer
  • Rebel General

• #1 Coolest Person HURR

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 06:29:15 pm »
Then explain how me.... a person that DOESN'T play consoles only PC managed to beat 20+ people in a row on campus that ONLY play console games. Halo feels like a baby game compared to fast paced twitch shooters... just too easy to rack up kills due to it being far too easy to hit targets especially with headshots.

Edit: I'll just leave this here...... A video of a true fast paced game (possibly the fastest made) that relies PURELY on skill (if you can't play with insane sensitivity, land 180 degree swing-shots, react in a split second to counter/frag a enemy you will always fail). Also don't even attempt to say it sucks because of its graphics..... you play Runescape and Doom looked far better for it's time than Runescape did (Doom was best looking FPS game for its time). Also Doom is still played online by thousands of people everyday and its from 1993.  8)

Getting headshots takes skill. there is no auto aim and there are no working aim bots on the console halo games. I myself am a twitch shooter in halo as when im scoped in with a sniper i go to the right of the target and move left while pulling the trigger.

Pinkamena

• Rebel Leader

• JT's Future Wife!

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 06:36:00 pm »
Still takes less skill than most OS FPS IMO. There IS aim-bots for Halo on 360..... plenty of people have modded xbox's with hacks granted they do eventually get caught. Auto-Aim doesn't really matter on Doom (it's only vertical NOT horizontal, this is because you originally couldn't free-look in Doom) as due to the insane movement speed it's still harder to aim on than any modern shooter game.

Also here is a good example of what Single-Player lacks in games these days. The ability to master the levels to the point you can speedrun them like a maniac (also rocket/grenade jumping FTW!):

« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 07:35:06 pm by Pinkamena »