Author Topic: Dell Notebook Laptop.  (Read 3120 times)

ZzReVeNg3zZ

• Donator
  • Rebel Commander

• View Profile
Dell Notebook Laptop.
« on: February 13, 2014, 06:37:19 am »
What's up guys, hoping that some of you have good tech knowledge to answer this question.

Basically I'm in a situation where I cant be messed sticking to my desktop PC to play RuneScape Private Servers, and I also need a portable computer for College and stuff like that, I don't want to spend to much considering what I need it for like, but I don't know.

I was pretty much thinking about getting a NoteBook laptop just for this purpose, cheap, affordable, and with like Linux Ubuntu or something on it rather than Windows. I've been looking at this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-DELL-LATITUDE-131L-BUSINESS-LAPTOP-CD-1-8GHZ-1GB-80GB-NOTEBOOK-WIFI-/111277177073?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item19e8a2f8f1#ht_4048wt_1078

But I'm curious as to whether RuneRebels would be able to run on 1gb of RAM and a 1.8ghz processer. Obviously I don't want to buy it and find out after I've already spent the money, so does anyone have any idea whether or not it would?

Pretty random question I know, but I thought you guys would be the most responsive people to ask :P

Cheers.
Dave.

Cheshire Cat

• Veteran
  • Rebel Captain

• Personal Text
    Away for personal reasons.
    • View Profile
Re: Dell Notebook Laptop.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 09:31:16 am »
"But I'm curious as to whether RuneRebels would be able to run on 1gb of RAM and a 1.8ghz processer."

Depends, currently RR is running at 322.9MB of ram (fluctuating)  and 6% CPU usage on a I5-3230M Mobile CPU @2.60GHz.

In theory you could run it, but you have to account for how much ram will be used up by your OS and since you will have a CPU that's rather low on cores you won't be able to do much multi tasking.

Austin

• Community Manager
  • Rebel Captain

• Has a nice view of your bedroom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 09:56:49 am »
My friend, when Runescape 2006 released those specs were considered godly LOL

ZzReVeNg3zZ

• Donator
  • Rebel Commander

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 10:56:39 am »
"But I'm curious as to whether RuneRebels would be able to run on 1gb of RAM and a 1.8ghz processer."

Depends, currently RR is running at 322.9MB of ram (fluctuating)  and 6% CPU usage on a I5-3230M Mobile CPU @2.60GHz.

In theory you could run it, but you have to account for how much ram will be used up by your OS and since you will have a CPU that's rather low on cores you won't be able to do much multi tasking.

There wouldn't be much multi tasking involved, pretty much Ubuntu or Linux Mint running straight RuneRebels on its own, as Austin said though back then those specs were pretty good.

Tennessee

• Rebel Leader

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 02:31:27 pm »
My friend, when Runescape 2006 released those specs were considered godly LOL

LOL that's a great way to look at it haha!

Kevin

• Veteran
  • Rebel Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 07:02:12 pm »
Just by guessing you aren't trying to spend a lot of money, so I found one that was just slightly more expensive. I also saw you had a .uk so I am assuming you are from the UK

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-Compaq-6720s-Intel-Core-2-Duo-Cheap-Laptop-PC-Computer-/141192210272?pt=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH&hash=item20dfb62760

That has a 2.0 GHz CPU 120GB HDD and 2GB of RAM, it is running vista sadly, but you can always change that. (did a 2 minute search)

ZzReVeNg3zZ

• Donator
  • Rebel Commander

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 10:24:24 pm »
Just by guessing you aren't trying to spend a lot of money, so I found one that was just slightly more expensive. I also saw you had a .uk so I am assuming you are from the UK

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-Compaq-6720s-Intel-Core-2-Duo-Cheap-Laptop-PC-Computer-/141192210272?pt=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH&hash=item20dfb62760

That has a 2.0 GHz CPU 120GB HDD and 2GB of RAM, it is running vista sadly, but you can always change that. (did a 2 minute search)

Yeah, I've got a good computer so I wouldn't really need to spend much on a laptop, but you're right, this does look pretty good. I'd probably put Windows 7 on it or Ubuntu man, and the postage is free also for the UK which is good :P Thanks for sharing haha

Cheshire Cat

• Veteran
  • Rebel Captain

• Personal Text
    Away for personal reasons.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 05:45:10 pm »

There wouldn't be much multi tasking involved, pretty much Ubuntu or Linux Mint running straight RuneRebels on its own, as Austin said though back then those specs were pretty good.
Yeah you should be more than fine with it then.

JT

• Rebel Commander

• Personal Text
    Always watching
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 12:57:38 am »
#1 rule, avoid AMD processors, especially in a refurb laptop.
#2 rule, Avoid Celeron intel processors. They are shit.
#3 rule, do a little research to see how old the model is, and the common problems with them are.

Join world 2 today!