Author Topic: Low player number - is there any point?  (Read 4651 times)

Large Prune

• Rebel Recruit

• View Profile
Low player number - is there any point?
« on: April 11, 2014, 11:54:24 am »
Now I know this has been discussed before time and time again, but the player number has been dropping off over the last few months and now there's usually less than 10 people online.

Is that what we played RS for, back in the day? 10 people?

So I ask you: is it worth moving to another server, despite all the work you've done? The game just isn't the same when you have so few people online. I know the admin team put in a lot of work, but they can't force people to play. I think it's worth it to start another account on a different server with far more players until the player number picks up, but I know a lot of people will be hesitant to do this because they've grown an attachment to the community/ don't want to feel like they've "wasted" their time.

Slayer

• Veteran
  • Rebel Captain

• HEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEYHEY

• Personal Text
    Namechange Sento -> Slayer
    • View Profile
Re: Low player number - is there any point?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 12:20:07 pm »
Now I know this has been discussed before time and time again, but the player number has been dropping off over the last few months and now there's usually less than 10 people online.

So I ask you: is it worth moving to another server, despite all the work you've done? The game just isn't the same when you have so few people online. I know the admin team put in a lot of work, but they can't force people to play. I think it's worth it to start another account on a different server with far more players until the player number picks up, but I know a lot of people will be hesitant to do this because they've grown an attachment to the community/ don't want to feel like they've "wasted" their time.
Why play elsewhere where the server will close in a month though.

James

• Developer
  • Rebel Captain

• Sean is my son

• Personal Text
    The RR Grandpa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 12:30:57 pm »

That.

As you've seen with 06prime (and as we've predicted with other 06 remakes in the past) most of them either get overwhelmed at the sheer amount of work they put into it, or as was the case with 2006scape get money and r-u-n-n-o-f-t.

We've done neither, but we've got a branding image thanks to some of the previous staff members. We're thinking of ways to improve that.
Hi, I'm James. I'm old as hell.

I need to Java again, lol

N0va

• Rebel Soldier

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 12:37:27 pm »
If you were to play another server and it shuts down, wouldn't you also feel like you wasted your time? Although we have a low player count, at least we know we won't have to worry about downtime and the server shutting down. 2+ years online says a lot. I'm not forcing you to stay. We haven't done a good job of advertising either.

The developers have some priorities that involve mostly content because nothing else has worked so far but from what I've seen, there are still many people out there willing to try out a remake. 06prime had like 300 people their first day but they used the 2006scape source so you know they went down a bunch :p. Resulting in them calling it quits. I don't know when we will start working heavily on content but hopefully it all pays off.
I'm not an In-Game developer and I've continuously been asking to be demoted so I did it myself

Large Prune

• Rebel Recruit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 01:37:09 pm »

That.

As you've seen with 06prime (and as we've predicted with other 06 remakes in the past) most of them either get overwhelmed at the sheer amount of work they put into it, or as was the case with 2006scape get money and r-u-n-n-o-f-t.

I know about 2006scape, Projectrs06 and 06prime, but what about Worldscape?

realitycheck

• Rebel Commander

• Personal Text
    Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - P.Steele
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 01:55:27 pm »
Isn't this all just "wasting time"?

Anyways, I did not play RuneScape back in the day for 10 players, I played it for the game itself and the work that the old Jagex team put into the game.  Now Jagex blows and real RS (imho) blows, so i sought out these types of servers.  PRS06 was my first - that busted.  This one was my second and has the dedication (yes I think staff are dedicated even with fewer updates - I understand them having a life and can accept that unlike others...) that keeps me around knowing that the server will not just fall apart.

As far as number of players - I personally have played here when there were 40-50 on per day, and when it seemed like I was the only active player for days at a time during the middle of last year. My reasons for playing RS have flipped 180 degrees and player count doesn't affect me anymore.  People that give a shit about what they have created and maintain has kept me here and will continue to do so.

Spiderjunkie

• Rebel Leader

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 02:24:08 pm »
Isn't this all just "wasting time"?

Anyways, I did not play RuneScape back in the day for 10 players, I played it for the game itself and the work that the old Jagex team put into the game.  Now Jagex blows and real RS (imho) blows, so i sought out these types of servers.  PRS06 was my first - that busted.  This one was my second and has the dedication (yes I think staff are dedicated even with fewer updates - I understand them having a life and can accept that unlike others...) that keeps me around knowing that the server will not just fall apart.

As far as number of players - I personally have played here when there were 40-50 on per day, and when it seemed like I was the only active player for days at a time during the middle of last year. My reasons for playing RS have flipped 180 degrees and player count doesn't affect me anymore.  People that give a shit about what they have created and maintain has kept me here and will continue to do so.

I agree
One can only witness so much horror until they are .... I feel that i am on the brink.

Grizx

• Rebel Soldier

• Zeus himself

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 12:00:48 pm »

Worldscape was a server full of assholes, and that's the way we liked it.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 12:03:11 pm by Grizx »

Large Prune

• Rebel Recruit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 12:28:42 pm »

Worldscape was

It's still up, isn't it?

James

• Developer
  • Rebel Captain

• Sean is my son

• Personal Text
    The RR Grandpa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 01:01:01 pm »

Worldscape was

It's still up, isn't it?

Worldscape is our other server that's been up for 8 years plus.

Every update that we apply to RuneRebels (Skill-wise, that is) we also apply to WorldScape.  Though you are correct, Worldscape is put wayy on the backburner because we're a small development team, and cannot focus on both projects at once. That's why we're actively seeking more developers, ;)
Hi, I'm James. I'm old as hell.

I need to Java again, lol

Charles

• Veteran
  • Rebel Captain

• Personal Text
    Smitten with a knitten kitten.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 01:11:00 pm »
The only reason why the other servers get popular is due to the "new server" hype.
When this server is in a presentable state we will get a higher population again.

Ry60003333

• Owner & Operator
  • Rebel Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 07:25:01 pm »
I don't think that the development is a waste of time; the engine I use for this can also be used for other things, I used it for a Minecraft server once! 8)

Plus we can create as many RSPS servers as we want from the engine without redoing all the skills, items, etc. For example, all the updates we are doing to RuneRebels on things that are shared with WorldScape are also being applied to WorldScape.