Author Topic: How are we any different?  (Read 3121 times)

Bobby

• Rebel Recruit

• Personal Text
    Rager.
    • View Profile
How are we any different?
« on: February 03, 2013, 11:15:51 am »
Just a quick question, no hate, just want to know. How are we different from what was going to be 2006Scape or Soulsplit. As I'm sure all of you know 2006Scape was shut down after they reached almost 500,000 registered members. There are currently two rumors spreading on how and why 2006Scape was shut down. One rumor I've heard is that the owner was just in it for the money, and scammed most players into donating and is now running with the cash. Another rumor is that Jagex did shut them down, most likely due to the fact that they had more people registered to play than the number of people that log into RuneScape each day. If I'm correct, I believe 2006Scape was around since June or July, but I'm not 100% sure. Soulsplit, however, has been running since 2009 (as displayed on their website), and is still going strong.

To be honest, I didn't plan on joining 2006Scape. Their community had a lot of flamers, spammers, etc. And after I'd posted 2 honest posts on the forums I had ended up making about 50 enemies before the game had began. Also, I did play Soulsplit for one day, and then after signing a petition to have Jagex bring back 2006 servers, I read a post that was advertising for RuneRebels. This was 3 days ago.

This game is great, and it takes me back to when I was a kid. Also, it's got an amazing community, and is so well done I am amazed every time I log in and do something new. I like this game a lot, and want to not only sign in tomorrow, but next week, and a month from now (etc).

So, how are we any different from 2006Scape, in the sense that how aren't we going to be shut down? What is our defense? Does Jagex even bother? (I ask because Soulsplit has been around since 2009). Is there a loophole to secure our game that Soulsplit knows and no one else does?

Thanks for reading this extremely large post.

DesertRain

• Donator
  • Rebel Leader

• View Profile
Re: How are we any different?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 11:24:03 am »
The biggest mistake all these sites make is advertising on Fb, Tweeter and Youtube.  The CEO's of these corporations, including Jagex, get together and have cocktails.  All three of these corporations, including Jagex, have been taken over (largest stock holders) by the same elite club.  I've done the research and I know exactly what I'm talking about.

So my opinion is, using these sites to advertise is insane.

Word of mouth should be the only way.
DesertRain

Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose,
Nothing don't mean nothing honey if it ain't free -- JJ

Karl

• Rebel Recruit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 11:26:30 am »
To clarify the legal aspects of RuneScape private servers:

• The client and cache are intellectual property of Jagex, distributing, editing and modifying any of these is illegal.
  • The source code is not intellectual property of Jagex, but the protocol however is.
  • Copyright laws are generally determined by the country as well, Jagex will have a hard time making a case on someone who is hosting a server in a different country because the same copyright laws may not apply; the website however may be taken down as a result.

Here's where RuneRebels differs from 2006scape:
  • We are not using the RuneScape website.
  • The server isn't targeted towards raking in money, and thus depriving Jagex of any income.

The point to make really is that if Jagex really wanted to they could shut the server down; no matter what we do we're still using the intellectual property of Jagex at the end of the day.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 11:29:26 am by Karl »

Bobby

• Rebel Recruit

• Personal Text
    Rager.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 11:31:32 am »
@DesertRain Thanks for posting, are you referring to IVP (I believe it's called IVP). The people who own a little more than 50% of Jagex right now? And yes, I'm glad we don't have any of those annoying advertisements, but I do believe that we need to vote more on RuneLocus and Mopar. Word of mouth would be great, don't get me wrong, however, I don't know if I would see much growth like that. Not that we need thousands upon thousands of players. But what we do need is a little amount of donators. Not saying this should be for-profit, but we need to keep VPS going and everything.

@Karl Thanks to you for posting as well. Your post was also very informational, and I thank you for that. I thought the RS website might have something to do with their demise. I'm glad we fall into all of these categories of surviving if Jagex does decide to look at us.

HappyguyForum

• Rebel General

• Personal Text
    Don't ever play leapfrog with a Unicorn...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 12:58:56 pm »
@DesertRain Thanks for posting, are you referring to IVP (I believe it's called IVP). The people who own a little more than 50% of Jagex right now? And yes, I'm glad we don't have any of those annoying advertisements, but I do believe that we need to vote more on RuneLocus and Mopar. Word of mouth would be great, don't get me wrong, however, I don't know if I would see much growth like that. Not that we need thousands upon thousands of players. But what we do need is a little amount of donators. Not saying this should be for-profit, but we need to keep VPS going and everything.

@Karl Thanks to you for posting as well. Your post was also very informational, and I thank you for that. I thought the RS website might have something to do with their demise. I'm glad we fall into all of these categories of surviving if Jagex does decide to look at us.
On the home page we also have a link to "our runescape server is not associated with Jagex Ltd. or Runescape" terms of service which lists why we can not be taken down loool
here ill list the reasons why if they EVER tried to take us down, they would fail horribly.

"By entering this site, you agree to and have read all of the following statements:

1. You are not an employee, staff member, lawyer, contractor, related to, or acquainted with Jagex LTD*, RuneScape*, FunOrb*, Stellar Dawn*, War of Legends*, or any of the afforementioneds subsidiaries or parent companies.

2. You understand that entering this site bounds you to these Terms of Service, and that you may not be bound to the terms of service of any of the mentioned companies, subsidiaries, or parent companies in point 1.

3. All information on this site is used solely for learning purposes. The main purpose of this site is to instruct people on the art of Java, php, and other types of programming.

4. All programs provided for download from this site are in entirety programmed by the members of this community and are not the intellectual property of any business, organization, or association.

5. There is no profit made from this website. All proceeds are directed into cost. As such, with section 107 of the Fair Use Act's four factors determining fair use, non-profit and solely educational use is considered fair.

6. The authors, web master, web host, and community members of this site are in no way legally responsible for its contents or content posted by other members.

7. There is nothing sold (I.e, buying into ownership) on this website. No external advertising links (Unless pre-approved by the web master of this site) are to be displayed here. We do not offer advertising slots. The web master reserves the right to remove any external advertising links from this site, and take action against your account including but not limited to removing your account from the website.

8. Your use of any of our material for any sort of profit or any non educational use is illegal, per the Digital Millenium Copyright Act. If you are caught doing so, we reserve the right to petition your web host to remove the copyrighted material. You may reproduce personal copies of the material of this website through printing; that is the only acceptable reproduction of our material. You may link from your website to pages on our website with permission. All of the HTML, php code, mysql Databasing, photographs, designs, logos, and statements are protected by the copyright and trademark laws of the United States as well as other countries. You may not copy, tramsit, distribute, or upload the information contained within this site without prior written consent. Further licenses are not automatically transferable with the sale of a website by a customer to another party, prior written acknowledgement must be given by AllGoFree or said license is invalid and the website will breach copyright law.

9. You understand that we automatically log all IP addresses and add them to our archives and databases. Your IP Address is not shared or sold to any other company or firm. All ideas, submissions, messages, emails, specifications, and code that are presented or submitted to this website become the property of AllGoFree unless otherwise noted by copyrights. Any information submitted can be used by AllGoFree for any purposes we deem neccesary without any obligation or compensation to the individual or company.

In no event will the authors of this website, the company hosting the website, nor any member of this website be liable for any claim, damages, or any other form of liability; whether in an action of contract, tort, or otherwise arising from, out of or in connection with software or the use or other dealings in the software.

AllGoFree is not responsible for indirect or accidental damages due to failures, loss of files, and any results of "intents of harm" to any of our websites or by user submitted content. Allgofree makes no claim that the operation will be error free and will not be liable for any interruptions or errors.

AllGoFree may change these terms and conditions to reflect: Changes in applicable laws; regulatory or security requirements; relevant guidance or codes of practice; technical alterations to AllGoFree or any of its websites; and to improve clarity and consistency. Please check this agreement form whenever you use any AllGoFree websites or products. If you access this website without a form of authorization, we will treat your use of AllGoFree products and websites as acceptance of these changes. If you do not agree to the changes of these terms and conditions, please refrain from using any AllGoFree products or websites."

p.s the only way we could be taken down, is if the owners of the server release how much they were making "which is what runescape 2006scape did and is the reason they were taken down, or if we were to release a aspect to where you had to pay for certain aspects of the game. Thanks! We are here to stay.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 01:03:30 pm by HappyguyForum »
Selling sets of armor bronze-mith. message me in game for the prices if interested :P -happyguy3216

Karl

• Rebel Recruit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 01:10:06 pm »
I'm not sure the terms of service actually holds up in a court of law. Usually if you break the terms of service the only action that can be taken is that they can terminate your usage.

vault

• Rebel Leader

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 01:12:18 pm »
The biggest mistake all these sites make is advertising on Fb, Tweeter and Youtube.  The CEO's of these corporations, including Jagex, get together and have cocktails.  All three of these corporations, including Jagex, have been taken over (largest stock holders) by the same elite club.  I've done the research and I know exactly what I'm talking about.

So my opinion is, using these sites to advertise is insane.

Word of mouth should be the only way.
It doesn't matter whether you advert or not, if the server is big jagex will be aware of it.
I think adverting on Fb, Twitter or YT is good for the game

skiller

• Rebel Leader

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 01:42:23 pm »

On the home page we also have a link to "our runescape server is not associated with Jagex Ltd. or Runescape" terms of service which lists why we can not be taken down loool
here ill list the reasons why if they EVER tried to take us down, they would fail horribly.

"By entering this site, you agree to and have read all of the following statements:

1. You are not an employee, staff member, lawyer, contractor, related to, or acquainted with Jagex LTD*, RuneScape*, FunOrb*, Stellar Dawn*, War of Legends*, or any of the afforementioneds subsidiaries or parent companies.

2. You understand that entering this site bounds you to these Terms of Service, and that you may not be bound to the terms of service of any of the mentioned companies, subsidiaries, or parent companies in point 1.

3. All information on this site is used solely for learning purposes. The main purpose of this site is to instruct people on the art of Java, php, and other types of programming.

4. All programs provided for download from this site are in entirety programmed by the members of this community and are not the intellectual property of any business, organization, or association.

5. There is no profit made from this website. All proceeds are directed into cost. As such, with section 107 of the Fair Use Act's four factors determining fair use, non-profit and solely educational use is considered fair.

6. The authors, web master, web host, and community members of this site are in no way legally responsible for its contents or content posted by other members.

7. There is nothing sold (I.e, buying into ownership) on this website. No external advertising links (Unless pre-approved by the web master of this site) are to be displayed here. We do not offer advertising slots. The web master reserves the right to remove any external advertising links from this site, and take action against your account including but not limited to removing your account from the website.

8. Your use of any of our material for any sort of profit or any non educational use is illegal, per the Digital Millenium Copyright Act. If you are caught doing so, we reserve the right to petition your web host to remove the copyrighted material. You may reproduce personal copies of the material of this website through printing; that is the only acceptable reproduction of our material. You may link from your website to pages on our website with permission. All of the HTML, php code, mysql Databasing, photographs, designs, logos, and statements are protected by the copyright and trademark laws of the United States as well as other countries. You may not copy, tramsit, distribute, or upload the information contained within this site without prior written consent. Further licenses are not automatically transferable with the sale of a website by a customer to another party, prior written acknowledgement must be given by AllGoFree or said license is invalid and the website will breach copyright law.

9. You understand that we automatically log all IP addresses and add them to our archives and databases. Your IP Address is not shared or sold to any other company or firm. All ideas, submissions, messages, emails, specifications, and code that are presented or submitted to this website become the property of AllGoFree unless otherwise noted by copyrights. Any information submitted can be used by AllGoFree for any purposes we deem neccesary without any obligation or compensation to the individual or company.

In no event will the authors of this website, the company hosting the website, nor any member of this website be liable for any claim, damages, or any other form of liability; whether in an action of contract, tort, or otherwise arising from, out of or in connection with software or the use or other dealings in the software.

AllGoFree is not responsible for indirect or accidental damages due to failures, loss of files, and any results of "intents of harm" to any of our websites or by user submitted content. Allgofree makes no claim that the operation will be error free and will not be liable for any interruptions or errors.

AllGoFree may change these terms and conditions to reflect: Changes in applicable laws; regulatory or security requirements; relevant guidance or codes of practice; technical alterations to AllGoFree or any of its websites; and to improve clarity and consistency. Please check this agreement form whenever you use any AllGoFree websites or products. If you access this website without a form of authorization, we will treat your use of AllGoFree products and websites as acceptance of these changes. If you do not agree to the changes of these terms and conditions, please refrain from using any AllGoFree products or websites."

p.s the only way we could be taken down, is if the owners of the server release how much they were making "which is what runescape 2006scape did and is the reason they were taken down, or if we were to release a aspect to where you had to pay for certain aspects of the game. Thanks! We are here to stay.

You honesty think we have any legal protection against jagex just because we say don't come here if you are from jagex? Try suing them for entering the site and see where that takes you. And this site isnt the only way to download the client.

Frell

• Rebel Leader

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 02:19:03 pm »

Terms of Service have never been legally binding.