Author Topic: Email/Accounts  (Read 3207 times)

skiller

• Rebel Leader

• View Profile
Email/Accounts
« on: January 19, 2013, 09:41:31 am »
Heres the problem. you have to go out of your way to make an account by registering the email and activating it, and i never get the email for any others. Maybe i want to make multiple accounts for different pures and skillers... and i dont have 5 email adresses? You should be able to use one email adress for many accounts and also not limit the password amount.

Ruby

• Rebel Recruit

• View Profile
Re: Email/Accounts
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 11:18:49 am »
That's mainly an SMF issue as opposed to an option for us to change, you can toggle the SMF option to require email verification but that's then going to enable a lot more bots visiting the forums and will be more spam bots being active making the forums untidier. Our other option is to add an "Accounts" tab to your profile where you can enable different accounts from the one master account which would be this one. That would also mean highly editing the forum core and would stop us from installing other modifications and themes to it. That's going to be a lot of work server and web sided. I think it's better to just leave it as is if I'm honest.

I understand where you're coming from and I realise that it isn't exactly ideal but it doesn't out-weigh the issues it would cause.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 11:24:49 am by Ruby »

Jmood

• Donator
  • Rebel Recruit

• Text goes here

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 01:13:30 pm »
The function is there for a reason, the changes needed to allow multiple accounts on a single email is a lot and wouldn't be worth the time to do it.

EDIT:
After doing a little more searching I may have found a mod that could prove useful for what you're requesting.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2264
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 01:18:12 pm by Jmood »

Ruby

• Rebel Recruit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 01:47:35 pm »
The function is there for a reason, the changes needed to allow multiple accounts on a single email is a lot and wouldn't be worth the time to do it.

EDIT:
After doing a little more searching I may have found a mod that could prove useful for what you're requesting.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2264
That would somewhat help on the web side of it and it would remove the several registrations, everything on that side would then be done through Java.

HappyguyForum

• Rebel General

• Personal Text
    Don't ever play leapfrog with a Unicorn...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 01:50:53 pm »
We do need SOMETHING to have multiple accounts though, because i have had several people say that :P
Selling sets of armor bronze-mith. message me in game for the prices if interested :P -happyguy3216

JT

• Rebel Commander

• Personal Text
    Always watching
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 11:46:25 pm »
If you forget your password or someone steals it, you can get it back easily, unlike on something like projectrs06 where you could put any email in, and there is no verifying to make sure you email is even going anywhere. It's also security against bots as well. This will not be changed in the future.

Join world 2 today!

D E A T H

• Rebel Leader

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 01:09:50 am »
It really isn't that hard to make a gmail account. I make them in about 5 minuets. it's not like you have to write a whole paragraph about your life.

Ruby

• Rebel Recruit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 07:31:55 am »
If you forget your password or someone steals it, you can get it back easily, unlike on something like projectrs06 where you could put any email in, and there is no verifying to make sure you email is even going anywhere. It's also security against bots as well. This will not be changed in the future.
As that mod states, there's no need for the multiple creation of different email accounts. There appears to be a master account with a limit on their sub-accounts. If they only have one master account they'll also only have one password. The only issue is that you'll only have one password for several accounts, so if one password is compromised all of your accounts are at risk, that could be modified though.