Author Topic: Dizzy's Combat Guide, n00b to Pro!  (Read 3299 times)

Dizzy Spells

• Rebel Recruit

• View Profile
Dizzy's Combat Guide, n00b to Pro!
« on: March 18, 2013, 11:58:25 am »
 Pretty sure I'm being presumptous here by claiming that I can make a 1-99 guide here, but I'm going to go fof it anyways. :D I am on my phone atm but I will clean up thd mess when I get home.

Start
So you're fresh from Tutorial Island (or from skipping said island), or a skiller who hasn't trained melee yet and is looking to do so. This guude will assume that you are brand-new and don't have any knid of monetary advantage over any brand new character. If you do have extra dough, feel free to buy all your weapons and armor beforehand, but the guide will also teach you where to acquire these as you go.

Anyways, with your starter gear you are given two invaluable tools - a bronze sword and a shield. If you look at the stats they give you, well, they aren't overwhelming. But anything is better than nothing,  so click on them to equip both. Head to Lumbridge if you aren, t there already and orient yourself northward. The castle should be on your left' a river on your right. Cross the river and follow the path northward until you find some chickens. Proceed to change your attack stance to Accurate and bash these chickens while you continue to read. No, seriously, they won t kill you. J promise.
As you fight the chickens, you will notice two blobs appear, one on your avatar and one on the chicken. Blue 'hitsplats' mean a blocked attack or one that does no damage. A red 'hitsplat' does damage indicated by the number I  the center. Each chicken has three hitpoints (HP) to kill. Once it has died, it will always drop Bones and Raw Chicken, used to train Prayer and Cooking respectively. Occasionally they will drop feathers as well, which you should grab because they stack, meaning that you can hold an unlimited number in one inventory. You can keep these for ttaining Fishing or Fletching or sell them for some decent start-up money.

Have you been smacking chickens as you read? No? Get on with it!

If you have been, you've probably acquired a level by now. Each level increases your combat effectiveness. Attack levels increase your odds to hit the target, Strength increases the damage you do with each attack, and Defense increases the chance that you will block damage and reduces damage taken if you are hit. Constitution is also trained by any combat style and increases your maximum hitpoints. Each skill can be trained to level 99, at which point you can continue to gain experience but will not reciev additional bonuses from training the skill. Most players will stop at level in order to train other skills.

Go hit chickens.

This coop is your new home for the next few levels. You want to get to around 20 attack and strength. Some defence levels, such as getting to 20 to wear mithril armor, are recommended but not necessary. Taking less damage means less food is required to train and overall training will require fewer breaks and therefore move faster. Once you have desired levels, head south to your new target, Cows. These drop Cowhides which can be used to Crafting or can again b sold for investment purposes. They have 8 HP and are about as difficult to kill as Chickens. You probably want to teain on these until around level 30 Attack and Strength, and then save up around 3, 000 coins. 1, 500 of this will be for buying an Adamantine mace in Falador, just north of the West bank location. The rest is for buying a set of iron armor. This can be acquired in pieces or in setts from players.

Either way, once you have all this gear, BANK IT. We'll be running over White Wolf Mountain and armor means that your run energy depletes more quickly. Note that this is dangerous, and you could die. However, if all your gear is banked you should be okay even if you do die, because you are holding no items to lose. Once you cross the mountain, follow the path and head north to get to Seer's Village. Get out your gear and equio it. Keep going north and you will reach Relleka. All the way to the north are your brand-new soarring partner, Rock Crabs. These have high HP, are easy to hit, and probably won't kill you if you pay some slight attention. These are ideal for training and are excellent xp for kid level players to work with. They can drop coins and Caskets, in addition to some random low tier junk such as bronze axes and pickaxes. Grab the coins, seaweed, and runes because they stack, and the caskets because they can contain gems.

Once you hit 40 attack you can buy a Rune mace if you so desire, but I believe that the Adamantine mace is better overall because of its low cost. The benefit of having a mace over another weapon is that the Rock Crabs are weak to crush, which is the mace's attack style, so you do extra damage and hit more often. At 60 Attack you can acquire a Dragon mace, although these may or may not be implemented (verifacation needed!).

This is a fairly long grind to 70 Attack and Strength, but you can break up the monotony by alternating between the two skills. Count how many times out of 10 attacks that you hit - let's say you hit 4/10. Train your Attack until you hit 5/10 of your attacks on average, and then swap to Strength. If the highest hit you've seen is a 5, train your Strength until you get a 6 and then swap back to Attack. Train Defence only if you want to wear a certain kind of armor or if you are taking too much damage - while useful, damage is needed to get experience, so Attack and Strength levels will help you gain future experience more than Defence levels will.

Once you reach around 70 Attack and Strength it will probably take you a while to get each level, and you will probably be pretty bored of smacking Rock Crabs. I recommend taking this time to do a few quests, and then return when you are ready for the slog to 80. Dragon Slayer in particular will give a bunch of Strength experience and can be quite handy. If you are looking for another skill to train, Magic will probably be the most useful because of the lack of transport at the moment. A Camelot teleport will help you get back over White Wolf Mountain more quickly in case of a death in a Member's area, and several other useful skills will be unlocked as you go. Mining and Smithing can also be interesting to train as you can make your own armor - but you need to get to 99 to make your own Rune Platebody or Legs, so you will probably be better off buying them from someone rather than waiting a month or more to reach these levels.

Coming soon - high-level training and profitable monsters to fight! And pictures!

-Dizzy
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 12:15:37 pm by Dizzy Spells »

*Dug has been demoted to the position of "Village Idiot"*

Garnu Thorn

• Donator
  • Rebel Soldier

• Personal Text
    Closed Profile
    • View Profile
Re: Dizzy's Combat Guide, n00b to Pro!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 05:30:39 pm »
Nice guide, but for cows, it is a pain to pay 10 gp every time to bank in Al Kharid, since Prince Ali Rescue isn't released yet.  Falador cow field has about the same number of cows and getting to the bank in Falador East Bank is free.

buttplug

• Community Member
  • Rebel Captain

• Personal Text
    Omar
    • View Profile
Re: Dizzy's Combat Guide, n00b to Pro!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 09:05:59 pm »
Nice guide, but for cows, it is a pain to pay 10 gp every time to bank in Al Kharid, since Prince Ali Rescue isn't released yet.  Falador cow field has about the same number of cows and getting to the bank in Falador East Bank is free.

Closer bank too