Author Topic: Webclient FYI  (Read 3405 times)

edub

• Veteran
  • Rebel General

• "Heroes will always be remembered, but legends never die."

• Personal Text
    #1 in Mining (99) & Smithing (99)
    • View Profile
Webclient FYI
« on: January 19, 2017, 10:02:14 pm »
I would suggest posting a more noticable message on the web client page saying that it isn't working currently and directing people towards the .exe file. I have gotten messages from several people about this and I'm sure they are not the only ones having this issue.

Slangin

• Supporter
  • Rebel Leader

• View Profile
Re: Webclient FYI
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 10:18:50 pm »
I would suggest posting a more noticable message on the web client page saying that it isn't working currently and directing people towards the .exe file. I have gotten messages from several people about this and I'm sure they are not the only ones having this issue.

I asked Ryan about this.

"Well first Oracle stopped letting self signed applets run, so we could have to have the client signed by an official certificate authority"
"which they probably wouldn't do for a private server, and it costs $$"
"but the second blow is that all browsers have now disabled Java"
"so that's why RS no longer will run in browser"

I'm sure when a new webpage is designed, all webclient material will be removed since they cannot work.

What sort of problems are they having downloading the client?

edub

• Veteran
  • Rebel General

• "Heroes will always be remembered, but legends never die."

• Personal Text
    #1 in Mining (99) & Smithing (99)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 01:50:05 pm »

I asked Ryan about this.

"Well first Oracle stopped letting self signed applets run, so we could have to have the client signed by an official certificate authority"
"which they probably wouldn't do for a private server, and it costs $$"
"but the second blow is that all browsers have now disabled Java"
"so that's why RS no longer will run in browser"

I'm sure when a new webpage is designed, all webclient material will be removed since they cannot work.

What sort of problems are they having downloading the client?

People don't have issues downloading the client, some people might not be aware that the web client is not working, they try to log in via the webclient and assume the game doesn't work since the web client doesn't work. This doesn't apply to everyone obviously but I'm sure certain people do not investigate this issue further on their own.

Slangin

• Supporter
  • Rebel Leader

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 02:24:18 pm »
People don't have issues downloading the client, some people might not be aware that the web client is not working, they try to log in via the webclient and assume the game doesn't work since the web client doesn't work. This doesn't apply to everyone obviously but I'm sure certain people do not investigate this issue further on their own.

True, this issue has been added to the database. - blitz/allgofree-rs-client#5

Ry60003333

• Owner & Operator
  • Rebel Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 07:22:44 am »
I definitely agree with this. One of the major efforts will be a full revamp of how users get into the game; which means making the reason you have to download the client much clearer, offering the version for your operating system automatically (exe for windows, app for OS X, jar for Linux/FreeBSD/etc) and offering a choice to download these other versions from any OS. ;D