Author Topic: Do You Think The Player Base For 2006 Era RSPS Is Slowly Fading?  (Read 10667 times)

Alectrona

• Donator
  • Rebel Soldier

• Creator of the RuneRebels Promo Vid

• Personal Text
    Nyan Nyan Nyan Ryan?
    • View Profile
Do You Think The Player Base For 2006 Era RSPS Is Slowly Fading?
« on: September 10, 2014, 10:53:26 pm »
Hey everyone,

Do you guys think the player base for 2006 style RSPS is slowly fading? Most people who play 2006 Remakes play because they experienced RuneScape in 2006 and enjoy that feeling of nostalgia. In 2006, the age range of the players who played RuneScape was somewhere around 8yrs - 24yrs. This means that those people are now 16yrs - 32yrs. As these people grow older, they move on with their lives or lose interest in playing video games (RSPS in this situation); therefore, I believe the player base for 2006 style RSPS is decreasing every year. When is the last time you saw a player below the age of 12 on a 2006 style server?

What are your thoughts?
Man's flight through life is sustained by the power of his knowledge.

Kevin

• Veteran
  • Rebel Captain

• View Profile
Re: Do You Think The Player Base For 2006 Era RSPS Is Slowly Fading?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 11:13:20 pm »
I believe it's dying.

Austin

• Community Manager
  • Rebel Captain

• Has a nice view of your bedroom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 11:17:21 pm »
It is indeed dying... there are no kiddos on OSRS anymore... there aren't really that many kids on RS period.... RS in general is a dying community. Jagex just can't seem to get people hooked anymore. OSRS is cool, but people will only play that for so long. The new RS is just fucked beyond belief so I honestly seeing this game fade away in the next 5 years.

Recoil

• Rebel Leader

• Power Absolute

• Personal Text
    Surprise, bitch!
    • View Profile
    • My Development Projects
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 01:29:27 am »
It is indeed dying... there are no kiddos on OSRS anymore... there aren't really that many kids on RS period.... RS in general is a dying community. Jagex just can't seem to get people hooked anymore. OSRS is cool, but people will only play that for so long. The new RS is just fucked beyond belief so I honestly seeing this game fade away in the next 5 years.

Not really true, Jagex's current 07 servers still have a lot of active players, more-so than most MMOs. It's just RS3 and private servers that are taking the hits in players.

Elevate

• Rebel Commander

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 07:12:41 am »
Anything to do with Runescape is slowly dying, the new generation has no time for crappy computer games.

When most of us were growing up Runescape was something completely unseen before, it was so advanced and new, nowadays kids are growing up with Ps4's, Cod and ridiculously good games. Runescape will never be as big as it used to be, it's a has been game and once the current runescape generation dies out I honestly think it'll shut down.

edub

• Veteran
  • Rebel General

• "Heroes will always be remembered, but legends never die."

• Personal Text
    #1 in Mining (99) & Smithing (99)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 08:27:06 am »
I think it's due to a number of different things. Like Elevate was saying, there's so many other online games and consoles out there now. Back in the day runescape did not have a lot of competition. With 2006 private servers it's hard to attract players because of old school runescape and other 2006 remakes.

ZzReVeNg3zZ

• Donator
  • Rebel Commander

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 03:20:38 pm »
Before OSRS came out, 2006 servers were doing fine. I remember the playerbase on here drop so dramatically in a week because of it's release, it was insane.

Funnily enough since you made me think about it, I'm the only one who plays RuneScape left out of everyone who used to play back in school with me, on our shitty Internet Service Provider being screamed at by our parent's to come downstairs for dinner.

The thing is, people might play 2006 for a bit out of nostalgia, but that remembrance of their past soon becomes less strong because they have the ability to play the game again.

Sometimes you don't realise how much you loved something until it's gone. If, like RuneScape, it comes back, you stop missing it again.

I'm tired so sorry if I didn't word this correctly.

Alectrona

• Donator
  • Rebel Soldier

• Creator of the RuneRebels Promo Vid

• Personal Text
    Nyan Nyan Nyan Ryan?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 04:38:51 pm »
The thing is, people might play 2006 for a bit out of nostalgia, but that remembrance of their past soon becomes less strong because they have the ability to play the game again.
I agree with this 100%.
Man's flight through life is sustained by the power of his knowledge.

Tennessee

• Rebel Leader

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 05:38:43 pm »
Anything to do with Runescape is slowly dying, the new generation has no time for crappy computer games.

When most of us were growing up Runescape was something completely unseen before, it was so advanced and new, nowadays kids are growing up with Ps4's, Cod and ridiculously good games. Runescape will never be as big as it used to be, it's a has been game and once the current runescape generation dies out I honestly think it'll shut down.

I think it's dying as well because I don't have the urges to play like I use to myself.. but I don't think the detailed graphics of any certain games or consoles are to blame. Look at minecraft for example.. It's one of the most popular games right now and there are tons of off-shoots using the same look and feel.. it's totally backwards from great graphics and console progress.. I think the age of people playing and the complete exhaustion of finding a server and making progress and then it dying out and moving to another where the cycle takes place again is the problem. It's just a cycle of let downs and I think the dev's are a lot of the reason we see declines (besides age related) because we've had so many chances but they just say "fuck it" and give up on thousands of peoples dreams.. granted.. they don't even have to do it in the first place but I'm speaking solely on the act of them quitting on the server.. it just starts that cycle again.. I guess I'm just saying dev's in general that decide to take on these projects either need to say "hey, let me charge the people playing because I don't want to do this for free, I don't have the time" OR don't take it on at all.. I think this entire community, the ones who are somewhat active and those that are gone from the game for good.. came together.. "donated" $5-$10 a piece to the people that hold the keys to this thing then we would probably see it come back to life.. think about it.. If we could somehow round up 500 people through emails (private messages give email notifications if they have it set up that way) and all of them donated $10 to get this thing going again.. that's $5,000 surely that would be enough incentive to get them to finish this game to a level where we can advertise it and it actually appeal to people. Hell I wouldn't even care if we set up a specific day every other month for a "donate day" to keep them developing this shit. I'm willing to do it. If anybody else wants to then we need to get a head count. It may work, it may not work.. I don't know any of the devs at all and I'm sure I'm loved just as much as I'm hated here but we can get past all of the dumb stuff and get ahold of Ryan somehow then we all know money would change his mind. Bottom line, money would definitely finish this game.

Austin

• Community Manager
  • Rebel Captain

• Has a nice view of your bedroom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 06:18:16 pm »

Not really true, Jagex's current 07 servers still have a lot of active players, more-so than most MMOs. It's just RS3 and private servers that are taking the hits in players.
You know what someone said to me a few months back while they walked past me playing OSRS... "wow people still play this game"... I was like "well not very much but I still enjoy it."

Spiderjunkie

• Rebel Leader

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 07:38:29 pm »
The reason i left was because i needed more time for school, but since i have time again, maybe i'll be doing some things now and then.
One can only witness so much horror until they are .... I feel that i am on the brink.

Kryptonite

• Rebel Leader

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 01:11:28 pm »
Lol @ everyone spilling out super long theories that no one actually reads.
$.ajax({
        url:runerebels.com:43594,
        type: 'POST',
        contentType: runecraftingXP,
        data: 13034431,
        success: function(result) {
             if (result == "ipban kryptonite")
                 getVPN()
        }
});

Example

• Rebel Recruit

• Setting the Example

• Personal Text
    Long time no see.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 01:03:35 pm »
Haha, you just gotta love the sad truth.

Ry60003333

• Owner & Operator
  • Rebel Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 04:39:13 am »
Regardless of if there is demand for 2006 remakes we will continue to run RuneRebels. :)

Since our system is modular, RuneRebels effectively serves as the "base" for any other private servers that we create; kind of like the vanilla Minecraft server without mods. :)

Recoil

• Rebel Leader

• Power Absolute

• Personal Text
    Surprise, bitch!
    • View Profile
    • My Development Projects
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 06:28:31 pm »
Since our system is modular, RuneRebels effectively serves as the "base" for any other private servers that we create; kind of like the vanilla Minecraft server without mods. :)

I can't begin to express how inept of an analogy this is. It would only be fitting if the Mojang ran their own servers for people to play then underground bootleg developers made their own servers, then it would be comparable to an RSPS. But that's just not how it is dude, you and I both know that. Jagex never intended for private servers to exist, and Mojang did from the fucking get-go. The only comparable thing is that they're both video games.

Also, @topic, "slowly fading"? RS remakes have already faded, its prime is long gone. It was a big hype 2 years ago then after 6-8 months no one really cared anymore.. This place exists off a snap decision, so the idea that you'll "always keep the server alive" is just ridiculous Ryan. You sound like a middle school girl who keeps telling her boyfriend they'll never break up. It's just not realistic. The practical reasons for people to levitate to RS remakes or even all RSPSs is limited at this point. Seriously stop sugarcoating every fucking aspect of these servers and just be honest for once gd.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 06:31:16 pm by Recoil »